chapter eight

I wake up the next morning with sweaty sheets entangled between my legs

I wake up the next morning with sweaty sheets entangled between my legs. I blink away the blurry haze in my eyes as the realization dawns on me that I'm not in my bedroom.

Nicole snores softly beside me, little puffs of air exiting from her nose in a sound that isn't entirely unpleasant. Its from her asthma and for the most part I find it adorable.

I manage to slink out of bed, unwrapping Nicole's arm from around my stomach carefully in order to avoid waking her up.

The room is dimly lit, but I manage to find my pants on the ground where I manage to get my phone which is almost dead.

Ten missed calls from my mom. A text from my dad threatening to call the police and report me missing. I shudder as I sigh. I don't remember what I did last night. Where I was.

There was a post game after we won last night. At... at Chris' house again. I must be in one of his many guest rooms.

I remember drinking. A lot. More than I normally allow myself too. More than I usually can.

A throbbing in my head is simply a warning to the hangover yet to come.

"...Jonah." Nicole says thickly, the bed creaking as she sits up. She wraps her arms around her bare body. The buttering morning sun which glistens through the curtains is the only way I can tell that she's just as confused as I am. Her eyebrows furrowed with worry.

"Hey." I say grimacing. My mouth tastes bitter.

"What time is it?"

There's dried mascara flaking down her cheeks, remnants of white paint still streaked across her skin.

"Six." I say. "Do you need a ride home?"

She shakes her head, tucking a stray curl behind her ear. "No it's okay."

"Yeah." I say simply. I find my shirt crumpled up by the bedpost. "Of course."

"Are you okay?" Nicole asks after a moment of silence. She hasn't moved from her position in bed.

"Yeah." I exhale. "Are you?"

She slowly nods.

I lean forwards and press my lips against hers. I can feel her shoulders drop with relief.

I'm almost out the door when she calls out my name, her voice failing as my eyes lock into hers.

"Yes?" I say.

Nicole opens her mouth in hesitation. "Did we- did we use protection last night."

I don't know.