Chapter 7

Edited 05/25/21

The next time Meadow saw Embry was at school. She was sitting by herself - Jacob and Quil had opted to sit at a table with a few of their lesser-known friends that day - when she heard a commotion. Startled, she looked up from the book she had her nose stuffed in and gritted her teeth at what she saw. Jake was being held back by Quil and was trying to lunge for a calm and collected Embry, who was standing next to a table containing Paul, Jared, and Kim. It broke her heart to see her brother hurt so bad over someone who didn't care about their friendship anymore. She didn't want any attention on herself, but she needed to help defuse the situation. She needed to calm her brother down and comfort him.

With a sigh and a bit of reluctance, she slammed her book shut and stood up from her seat. She briskly walked over to Jake and put a hand on his shoulder, letting him know that she was there for him. Wildly, he looked over his shoulder and calmed the minute he saw Meadow. He let out a breath.

"Whatever. Don't think you're welcome near our house ever again," Jake said as he turned away. Meadow watched him sluggishly sit down and eat his food. Quil joined him after shaking his head at Embry. Meadow remained. She stared at Embry, trying to desperately understand what had gotten into him. He was the number one supporter of Jacob's cause against Sam and his friends, and now he was spending time together with them. It didn't make sense.

"Meadow," Embry said, bringing her out of her stupor. "How have you been?"

He said it so softly that Meadow strained to hear it. She was baffled by his question. How had she been? That was all he wanted to say after ignoring them for so long? She was upset with his attitude towards it all, how he could just assume everything could go back to normal between the two of them. If he couldn't make up with Jacob and Quil, there was no way in hell he was going to make up with Meadow. She glared at him as Paul pulled him into a seat. Paul glared at him and fiercely whispered in his ear. Meadow couldn't make out any of the words he said, but she assumed the worst when Embry's skin took on a pallor.

"You can't tell me what to do," Embry mumbled before he gave Meadow a smile. "See you around, MeMe!"

"Don't think you're welcome near our house ever again," Meadow echoed Jacob, hoping that it would get her point across: She was upset with him, and he needed to stop while he was ahead. She should have known that it wouldn't work, that Embry wouldn't back down from a few hostile words. Embry was as hardheaded as Jake and Quil were.

"Meadow, wait!" he yelled, garnering her attention. Meadow stopped and blankly stared at him, waiting for him to say whatever he wanted to say so she could shoot him down and be done with it.

"Look," he said with a sigh, "can we talk?"

Meadow raised an eyebrow at him. He wanted to talk with her but not his best friends?

"Please."

For some reason, Meadow's eyes strayed towards Paul. He was watching her like he was waiting for her answer. His fists were balled, and he was slightly shaking. His forehead perspired from the restraint he seemed to be holding. She didn't know why, but she wanted to deny Embry the chance to talk and soothe Paul instead. The action was calling her, telling her to make Paul happy. Her brows furrowed and a frown marred her features.  Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, she reluctantly agreed to Embry's request.

"Fine," she said. Embry sagged in relief and immediately righted his back. He led her to the empty hallway and leaned against the wall. Meadow planted herself in front of him with her arms crossed. She was guarded.

Knowing that Meadow was definitely not going to start the conversation, Embry said, "I'm sorry for ignoring you. I was going through some things. I still am, but I have a better handle on it. Besides, I wanted to see you."