Chapter 24

Edited 05/31/21

What is going on? Sam demanded to know. It was silent. No one wanted to speak. Sam glanced at Bella, who was standing in the distance with a frightened expression on her face.

Jake, you're supposed to be watching over Bella. You can't do that if you're not paying attention to her whereabouts, Sam said sternly.

I know where she is, Jake said. I'm more worried about Meadow. Paul was attacking her for no reason.

I wasn't doing it for no reason! Paul shouted. He was still wound up from the fight he had with Meadow.

I want answers. Now, Sam ordered in his Alpha voice. Meadow pushed against the order and refused to answer to his command. However, Paul caved. He whined before he confessed.

Meadow wants to challenge you to the Alpha position, Paul told Sam. The pack link was quiet, but she could register the surprise lingering through their minds. She dropped her head subconsciously and shied away from their gazes. They weren't comforting stares.

Is that true MeMe? Jake asked. She met his eyes and nodded her head. She heard Sam's threatening growl and watched as he stalked up to her. He stared down at her and bared his teeth at her.

You want to be Alpha? he asked. Disbelief and amusement laced his words. She flinched at the laugh that bubbled in his chest and left his wolf body as a chortle. She stared at him and tried to contain her feelings. She was upset at the lack of confidence they had in her. Jake wouldn't meet her eyes and Paul was still upset with her. They didn't believe in her.

Do you really think any of them would follow you? Sam asked. You think they'd be willing to follow someone like you?

Meadow didn't say anything. She continued to stare at him. Wetness developed behind her eyes, but she refused to let it leak. She wouldn't show weakness. If she wanted to be the Alpha, she couldn't show them any weakness. She had to be strong.

Answer me! Sam bellowed. Meadow's head bowed under the immense pressure he bestowed upon her, and she whined.

I can do it, she said. It came out quiet and uncertain. She was second-guessing herself now.

I can't hear you, Sam said mockingly. Meadow looked to Paul for help, but he avoided her gaze. She was hurt; she felt like someone was gripping her heart and squeezing as hard as they could. No one was willing to defend her, and the fact that Paul was willing to allow Sam to patronize her hurt her more than anything. 

You can't handle it, Meadow, Sam said. You aren't fit for the job. You will never be the Alpha of this pack. Do you understand? All you're good for is following orders like you've been doing your entire life.

You're going too far, Sam, Paul said. Sam growled at him, and Paul immediately backed down.

She needs to hear the truth, Sam said sternly. If you think you have what it takes, then challenge me.

I am-

The official way, Sam said. If you think you can take me on, then challenge me right now.

I-

Don't think you'll have another chance like this, Sam yelled. You either do it now or never do it again.

Meadow thought about it and realized he was right. If she didn't do it now, she'd never get another chance. Everyone in the pack would know she backed down and would think she was too weak to be Alpha. She couldn't have that. With a deep breath, she pulled herself to full height and stared him in the eyes.