The Last Ticket

The next day, after I was done with work, I went to go pick up Charlie after he was done with school. But he wasn't at his usual spot where I usually pick him up. Instead, I saw him standing in front of the chocolate factory gates, looking up at the factory. I completely understood why he was there and I felt the same way too.

As I was walking closer to him, I overheard two men, while walking their dogs, talking near where Charlie was. "Did you hear that some kid from Russia found the last golden ticket?" "Yes. It was in the paper this morning." Then, Charlie turned his head and looked at the two men, looking disappointed.

I was shocked to hear the news. Nobody, not even Ron, didn't tell me about it. I was really disappointed that the last golden ticket was found.

When I finally met up with Charlie, I gave him a hug. He hugged me back. Then, I wrapped an arm around his shoulder and said, softly, "Come on, Charlie. Let's go home." We, then, started walking home, while we both looked down, sadly.

As we were walking, I looked at Charlie. "You know what, Charlie? At least, we still have each other and maybe one day, Mr. Wonka will open his factory again and we'll get there. We shouldn't give up hope at all." I told Charlie, trying to cheer him up. Charlie nodded and said, "You're right, Em. We shouldn't lose hope at all." Then, I smiled at him and looked up and continued walking.

All of a sudden, Charlie stopped walking. I was looked behind, confused, to see why Charlie stopped. "What is it, Charlie?" I asked. But Charlie didn't answer me. Instead, he kneeled down on the snow-covered ground and picked up a ten-dollar bill. What luck! He stood up while he looked at it.

Then, an idea popped into my head. "Come on, Charlie. Let's go to the candy store. You can get whatever you want with that. You deserve a treat anyway." I said, smiling. Charlie looked up at me, smiling, and said, "Sure, Em. Let's go." Then, we headed down to the candy store.

When we got to the candy store, we walked in, and we stood at the counter, where Ron saw me. "Emma, you're back." He said. I chuckled and said, "Yes, I am, Ron, but just really quick." Then, I turned to Charlie. "Go on and pick whatever you want, Charlie." I said.

Charlie handed Ron the ten-dollar bill as he said, "One Wonka Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight bar, please." "Okay." Ron said, as he took the ten-dollar bill and he picked out the Wonka bar that Charlie wanted and he headed it to him. Then, Charlie started tearing the wrapper.

While I was watching Charlie, I heard a woman nearby say, "The nerve of some people." I looked up, confused, on why she said that. "Yeah, I know. Forging a ticket, come on." Ron scoffed, as he was getting Charlie's change. 'Forging a ticket?' I thought to myself. I looked down at a nearby newspaper and saw what was on the headline.

'Russian Ticket a Fake.' I was shocked. I couldn't believe that the ticket was a fake. The last golden ticket was still floating around somewhere. I was starting to feel excited to tell Charlie the news when something caught my eye as I looked down at him.

"Charlie..." I breathed out, quietly. I was even more shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes. Charlie was holding a golden ticket. The very last one! "You've found Wonka's last golden ticket! In my shop too!" Ron exclaimed, excitingly. I had the biggest smile on my face as I looked down at Charlie, in excitement. Our dream had finally came true.

I was about to say something, but, then, a man stood next to Charlie. "Listen, I'll buy it from you. I'll give you fifty dollars and a new bicycle." The man bribed Charlie, which angered me. Then, a woman stepped in. "Are you crazy? I'd give him five-hundred dollars for that ticket. You wanna sell my your ticket for five-hundred dollars, young man?" She asked.

It was ridiculous. My brother finally found a golden ticket and people were already starting to bribe him to sell it. I wasn't gonna let anyone take it from him. "That's enough, you people! Leave my little brother alone!" I said, as I held onto Charlie, protectively.

Then, Ron leaned towards the counter and told me, "Emma, don't let anyone have that ticket. Take your brother straight home. I'll give you the rest of the day off tomorrow. You understand?" I was glad Ron was helpful. Charlie and I smiled him. "I will, Ron. Thank you. Come on, Charlie!" I said, and, then, I took Charlie's free hand and we both ran out of the candy store as we headed home as fast as we could.

When Charlie and I got closer to home, I yelled, excitingly, "Mom! Dad! He found it! Charlie found it!" "The last golden ticket! It's mine!" Charlie exclaimed, as we ran inside the house and stopped next to Grandpa Joe. Mother and father walked inside the house, with stuff in their hands, looking at us, confused. Even our grandparents were confused too.

While smiling, Charlie handed Grandpa Joe the golden ticket, who looked down at it to see if it's really a golden ticket. Then, suddenly, Grandpa Joe cheered, "Yippee!" and he, out of nowhere, got out of bed and started dancing. I was surprised at first, but, then, I started giggling with Charlie smiling at Grandpa Joe's excitement. Mother and father and everyone else, on the other hand, were shocked.

Then, Grandpa Joe stopped dancing and he held the golden ticket out to mother and father. "Here." He said. Mother dropped the cabbages on the floor and father dropped pieces of wood on the floor as he took the golden ticket from Grandpa Joe. "Read it aloud. Read exactly what it says." Grandpa Joe said, excitingly. They looked at the ticket as father began reading it:

"Greetings to you, the lucky finder of this golden ticket, from Mr. Willy Wonka. I shake you, warmly, by the hand. For now, I do invite you to come to my factory and be my guest for one whole day. I, Willy Wonka, will conduct you around the factory myself, showing you everything there is to see. Afterwards, when it is time to leave, you will be escorted home by a pocession of large trucks, each one filled with all the chocolate you could ever eat. And remember: one of you lucky five children will receive an extra prize beyond your wildest imagination. Now, here are your instructions: The first of February, you must come to the factory gates at 10 am sharp. You're allowed to bring one family member to look after you. Till then, Willy Wonka."

"The first of February? That's tomorrow!" Mother said. "Then, there's not a moment to lose, Charlie! Wash your face, comb your hair, scrub your hands, brush your teeth, blow your nose!" Grandpa Joe instructed Charlie. "And get that mud off your pants." Grandpa George added. "Now we must all try to keep very calm. First thing that we have to decide is this: who is going with Charlie to the factory?" Mother asked.

"Emma will, of course." Grandpa Joe answered, out of nowhere. I was surprised that he wanted me to take Charlie to the factory. I know it's always been a dream of me and Charlie to go to the factory, but I was thinking that Grandpa Joe would want to see the factory and Mr. Wonka again. "Me? But are you sure, Grandpa Joe?" "Of course, Emma. I've already seen the factory and Mr. Wonka. Now I want my own grandchildren to share the same experience as I did." He said. I smiled as I hugged Grandpa Joe and said, excitingly, "Oh, thank you so much, grandpa!"

Then, I turned to Charlie and said, "Can you believe it, Charlie? We're finally going!" But Charlie didn't seem excited after I said that, which confused me. Then, he, unexpectedly, said, "No. We're not going." My smiled faded away after he said that. "But why, Charlie?" I asked. "A woman offed me five-hundred dollars for the ticket. I bet someone would pay more. We need the money more than we need the chocolate." Charlie explained. I glanced at everyone, including Grandpa Joe, and they seemed sad.

I was thought it was very gracious of Charlie thinking about us. But at the same, he didn't realize how the golden ticket happened to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and we may never get that same opportunity again if he'd gave the ticket to someone else. Especially since we've been waiting for this day to come.

"Charlie." I said his name to get his attention. He turned to look at me as I kneeled down at his height while I held his hands. "Charlie, it's very kind of you to think about us. But you know what? There's plenty of money out there. They print more every day. But this golden ticket, Charlie, it's different than money. There's only five of these tickets in the world for a once in a lifetime opportunity. Only a dummy would give this up for something as common as money. So, my main question is: are you a dummy, little brother?" "No, Em." Charlie said, while shaking his head.

"Then, get that mud off your pants, Charlie. You and Emma got a factory to go to!" Grandpa George said, while giving two thumbs up. Charlie and I looked at each other, with smiles on our faces. We're finally going to the chocolate factory tomorrow and meet the chocolatier himself, Willy Wonka.