Chapter 1: Time To Get Dressed

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Power Quest: Book 1 is now available on Amazon!
The edition available on Amazon has undergone professional editing and revisions, featuring additional exciting chapters not present here. It is highly recommended to opt for the Amazon version for an enhanced reading experience.

GET IT HERE: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C8BKYZ6L

***

There are seven things I want you to know before we proceed.

One, think long and hard before deciding to join a team in this game. You may form a few alliances, but eventually, you will encounter a situation that will force you to choose between your friends and your own success and power. Choosing your friends may seem like the moral thing to do, but it will most likely lead you toward your own death and destruction.

Two, you choose your path. No deity or wise old men are going to plan your character's development for you, there will be no easy pickings. Your actions will determine your class, your skills, your powers, and your reputation.

Three, we play for fun.

Four, patience precedes fun. Sometimes you will have to spend hours of in-game time to achieve the truly epic rewards.

Five, noobs are not to be underestimated. Even a first level character can aim true and kill an arrogant 20th level fool.

Six, magic is awesome. All characters possess it, even the most none-arcane warrior. Use it wisely for it would shape your game for better and worse.

Seven, there are no real rules in this game. All of the above is just my fucked up way of screwing with your mind (evil chuckle in the background), so let's play and see what happens. Good luck!

Ben grinned as he finished reading the introduction mail from his new DM. He knew from reading the forums that Raxlon was one of the best dungeon masters around, and these so-called rules were just perfect. Ben was okay with team playing - in almost all of the games he participated in, playing together was a key part of winning - but what he really loved was to play alone, and win alone. If Raxlon's gameplay was focused on solo players then he definitely chose the right DM. He also reeaaaly liked the fifth rule. Ben always hated the way it was impossible to kill high-level bosses if you were a weak character. In his opinion, a good RPG was about good strategy, quick thinking, and bold moves. It seems Raxlon was on the same page as he.

And then there was the seventh rule, which was the most awesome of all. No rules! How brilliant was that? Of course, it would probably be a bitch to DM like that, but Raxlon had a reputation for being the best, so.

Ben sighed happily and checked his V-watch. He gave the internal command and red digits flared briefly on his skin. 15:58. Two minutes to log-in. He felt his pulse quickening and checked for the tenth time that his VR gear was fastened properly. This was the first time he was going for a real VD (Virtual Reality D&D) experience, and he didn't know what to expect. What would happen in the transition between the real world and the virtual one? From what he read, the program was supposed to "hijack" his brain, thus making him believe he was in a whole different surroundings. This method was the cause of a global outcry for years now - many groups and movements warned that it was the first step toward the extinction of the human race - but the gaming companies were too powerful, the players too eager, and the technology got better and better.

Ben was one of those eager players, but up until recently there was nothing he could do about it since he never could afford the overwhelmingly expensive VD sets. He and his friends had to make do with the old, classic way of playing the game - sitting around a table with your character sheet, playing face to face with your companions. They told themselves that nothing could replace the real experience, but when they drank enough beer they confessed that they would sell their own sister for a chance to put their hands on a VD set.