Chapter 2: No Easy Beginnings

Ben was in a prison cell. A typical D&D prison cell, which came with all the regular perks a first-level character could expect from such a starting point: an awful smell and an immediate feeling of doom and hopelessness. It wasn't the first time Ben started an adventure in jail, but it was definitely the first time he was experiencing it in VR settings - and he was both thrilled and anxious as he looked around him.

He was sitting on a dirty mat, his back to a cold stone wall, looking at a small cell that was dimly illuminated by a lone oil lamp that hung above him. Next to his mat was a small bowl with a chunk of meat that Ben knew was rotten without even smelling it, and next to that was another bowl, this one with what could only be human excrement. Ben wrinkled his nose in disgust, looking on. There were patches of blood on the stone floor - of course there would be - and the iron bars of the cell looked rusty.

On the other side of the cell was another mat - and it too was occupied.

Ben recognized the dark-skinned man who sat there as one of the seven that were with him around the floating table. He seemed a few years older than Ben, with rich black hair and muscular shoulders. His attire was that of a young noble swordsman; a white and red outfit, complete with a cape, iron bracers and a fancy belt with a decorated scabbard. His face was haggard, rough, with dark stubble, high cheekbones, and a predatory gaze.

The man stood up. Ben, not wanting to remain at a disadvantage, quickly followed suit and scrambled to his feet. Inwardly he was still bewildered by the authenticity of the whole experience - he was actually there! Feeling the coldness, smelling the shit, noticing how his leg muscles stretched as he got up. The feeling was simply out of this world. Pun intended.

He thought about approaching and introducing himself, but the swordsman beat him to it - only he wasn't going for an introduction. Instead the man - who was a bit taller than Ben - twisted his lips and spat on the already filthy floor. "Just my luck, to be stuck in a cell with the noob," he muttered in a rough voice while reaching for the scabbard on his belt. Realizing it was empty, the man cursed. "And without my sword!"

Ben felt his face flush. He took a step forward, clenching his fists and trying to control his anger. The weaponless swordsman watched him with dark eyes, and Ben could feel some of his anger dissipate - there was a force in this man's stare; an almost palpable aura of command surrounded him, and Ben found himself swallowing hard, frozen in his tracks.

"You," Ben started but realized he was croaking and cleared his throat, trying to regain control. "You," he said again, steadier this time, "are just a noob as I am. Or do you want to tell me you started this adventure at a higher level than one?" Actually, Ben had no idea if players could or could not start adventuring at higher levels, but Raxlon said it was a beginners' quest so he assumed it was a safe bet.

The man looked at him for a long moment. Then his upper lip curled, and suddenly he gave a short bark that could pass as laughter. "You got it right, skin," he said in a somewhat southern accent. "We're just two noobs in a strange and frightening world, aren't we." He took the few remaining steps toward Ben and extended his hand. "Charlie's my RL name, but I'm known as 'The Red Mercenary' 'round these parts of the world. Or just Red for shorts"

Ben didn't miss the man's reference to his earlier unfortunate and naked appearance, but he was ready to put that slight aside for now. Charlie's - or rather, Red's - few words of introduction were enough to make him realize how little he really knew about this game. Ben had no character name, no background, nothing except his meager clothes and some basic notion of how VD was supposed to be like. Once again, he could blame only himself and the way he acquired his game unit. Then again, at least he had one.

He took the offered hand and shook it, immediately sensing the incredible strength the other man had, at least in comparison to him. "I am Ben," he said simply. Then, in sudden inspiration, he added: "both RL and here."