iii | dreaming of freedom

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

"What a terrifying thing it is, to be yourself." 

The pale gray she-cat could feel the sadness bubbling beneath her eyes. Uncovering the wounds of her past burned her insides like a great wildfire. Though, she knew now was not the time to be vulnerable. "It was a long time ago." 

The other she-cat in the den flicked her ears. Her stunning amber eyes shone through the darkness of the den with great mercy. "I feel your pain." She murmured as she ducked her head. "I know what it's like to lose someone you love." 

Her silent sound rung the room with great power. Each cat was stained with foreboding memories from their past. It was an inevitable fate. 

Falconrain, the tortoiseshell tom from moments ago, tensed. He sat to the left of Violetsky, twitching every second or so. Violetsky raised her gaze in suspicion. She could feel the wrath radiating from his body. What happened to you?  She wondered.

"That's why we must stop this war," Stormrunner suddenly spoke up. "We can protect lives from destruction."

The leader did not appreciate the tom's response. Her eyes flashed with slight concern. "I once knew a tom who believed such things as you." The aging leader began to slowly pace the edges of the den. Her alabaster tufts bristled gradually. "It did not end well for him." 

"Stormrunner was only stating his mind- he didn't mean to offend you." Violetsky skipped to defend her friend. The tension between her and the leader was rapidly increasing. 

Falconrain scowled under his breath. "Your friend's mind is twisted." He laughed to himself. "War is a natural, inescapable doom. You wish to just... Get rid of it?" 

Violetsky's ears flattened in annoyance. Her mouth cracked to shout, but Echostar intercepted. 

"You have a good heart, both of you do. I don't doubt that for a second." Her ambers flickered between the two companions. "But I'm torn between the life of my Clan and the good of the forest. I crave to help you, I want peace. But my duty as a leader is to protect my clanmates, not send them into war." 

Violetsky twitched with irritation. "You have to listen to me, please!" 

Echostar swayed her head. "I'm sorry, Violetsky." 

"No!" Violetsky could sense the grief unraveling in her soul. "Please, I've lost everything. I need this chance." The she-cat clung on to what she had dreamed about years ago. She went back to the night she stargazed with Adderpaw and dreamed of freedom. The memory was quickly followed by Adderpaw's murder. She could still feel each piece of her heart crumble as Adderpaw wished her goodbye. Her mind churned with each heart-wrenching memory.

"Violetsky, relax." Stormrunner wrapped his tail around the ghastly she-cat. Within seconds, she thrashed around her claws, hooking onto his face. She shoved the tom off of her. Tears spilled into her whiskers as memories struck her like bullets.

"You murdered him!" She screamed. She remembered everything; Stormrunner's sparkling blue eyes, the hatred on his face, his unsheathed, bloodied claws. "I hate you." Her voice was ever so soft and serious. So serious, Stormrunner was stunned to the spot. 

He watched, drowning in his own puddle of affliction, as the love of his life stormed away. 
It was a reoccurring event in his past; the ones he loved leaving him in pieces. He wanted to ignore the feelings of hopelessness but it was his bloodline. 

"My, son. I am so sorry." 

Son? Stormrunner was surprised to find Echostar was speaking to him. He moved his focus from Violetsky to the elderly leader. It had been a long time since anyone addressed him as son

"It's not your fault." Stormrunner shrugged while glancing at Falconrain. "We've both been through so much. Scars don't heal so easily." 

Echostar smiled softly as she studied the ex-warrior. "You're exactly right." There was a beat of silence between the three cats. The hot mess of emotions rendering through the walls. "Have I met you before?" 

Stormrunner frowned, "Never." 

But as the leader's question fully sank in, Stormrunner was noticing there was something strangely familiar about her. It was almost as though-

Stormrunner's thoughts were suddenly intercepted. 

"Mother, I think it's time to give them a rest," Falconrain grumbled as he neared the leader's side. He gave the gray warrior an unappreciative glare. "Plus, I think Stormrunner here should clear the air with his friend," He tilted his head, giving an obvious indication that Stormrunner should leave. 

Was Falconrain envious? Stormrunner's eyes fell onto the soldier. There was a spark, a passion, behind the tom's blazing orbs. Stormrunner decided to push away the feeling. He strode slowly towards the exit. "You're right," He mumbled. "Thank you." He gave Echostar a small smile before disappearing. 

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀