xix | know mercy

aesthetic made by lypophrenia-

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

A faint fluttering in the air awoke him from his abyss. However, the blackness under his eyes was comforting; an oasis he didn't want to leave. A pattern of sunlight lingered through the green leaves on the trees, decorating patterns onto the ground. The pale luminescence flickered over his eyes, pulling him sharply from his sleep. The exhausted tom stiffly sat up, every inch of his body burned with ache. He was starting to think that perhaps sleeping without a nest or protective den was a bad choice. Last night, Stormrunner refused to sleep in the camps with the other soldiers and he didn't trust his father enough to sleep in his hollow. So he found a small patch of grass between thorny shrubbery to rest on. Shaking away his thoughts, the gray tom stretched out his sore limbs. His jaws opened into a wide yawn, never before had he felt so tired. Everything hurt, his legs, his head, his heart. Stormrunner, easily drawn to the idea of more sleep, fell back into a stretched-out laying position.

Then there was that same fluttering again. It delicately swished the leaves on the bushes, capturing Stormrunner's attention. "Soldiers," A familiar voice arose, shattering through Stormrunner's attempt to sleep again. The gray tom pricked his ears, hesitantly waiting for another noise. Stormrunner silently crept to his paws and circled in front of the thorn bush. His single blue eye rolled forward to peer through the tousled brambles. "Are we ready to fight?" The same, heavy voice repeated. And suddenly, it all came clear to Stormrunner. The sound came from his father, Wolfstar.

The elegantly proud dictator stood straight before two of his scrawny soldiers, his structure built strongly like a king's. He lifted his chin sternly, focusing his two fire-like eyes on the fighters. The two toms trembled slightly, sparing a worried glance at each other before continuing. "We're short." Finally, a brown tabby mumbled. "Another one died today in an accident."

Although Stormrunner was left to observe with one eye, he could patently see the fury awaking in his father. When Wolfstar didn't receive what he wanted, nothing good happened. It was in a matter of seconds when the large leader lifted his razor-sharp claws over the tabby. The silver lining on the claws glimmered under the beams of sunlight, sending a threatening message through the atmosphere. Wolfstar snarled, "Why don't you do anything right?"

Without any further distractions, Wolfstar was about to thrash down his claws when at the same time, Stormrunner slithered forward to watch closer. His front paws snapped on a twig.

At the deafening noise of the branch shattering, three sets of vivid eyes twisted to see Stormrunner lurking behind the bushes. Wolfstar's amber optics squinted into two almonds, sending a thrill of emotions down Stormrunner's spine. Realizing there was no turning back, the fatigued feline drove himself through the bush. He pushed past the biting thorns, fully revealing himself to the group.

"My son," Wolfstar meowed somewhat unamused. He glanced over at the two cowering soldiers then lowered his claws. "You're just in time."

Stormrunner followed his father's eyes to the cats. They casually dipped their heads in gratitude, blessing the colorless tom for sparing their lives. However, Stormrunner didn't think of it that way. In what world could he possibly be a hero? "Father, what's going on?" He turned his attention back to his sire. He remembered, before he interrupted them, they were discussing a fight. "What fight?"

The fluffy-furred leader simply grinned. His alabaster teeth sparkled dangerously; either he was entertained by such ignorance or he loved to deliver unfortunate news. "Stormrunner, don't you use your head?" Wolfstar suddenly snapped, sending a jolt of alarm through his son. "I'm bringing a war to those mouse-hearted rebels. I know they're sheltering in WindClan." Anger blurred his eyes like gray smoke. The topic of his sister's rebellion didn't ease well with Wolfstar as all he wanted to do was destroy them. "Once they're dead, the forest will be all mine."

"No-" Stormrunner suddenly thought of Violetsky. He was flooded with a dull sense of panic, his worst fear was losing her. And if Wolfstar was given his way, she would surely be slain. His alarm was also increased by the fact that the Rebellion was small. They were no match for WolfClan's enormous, powerful armies. The Rebellion would need a miracle to survive.

"Oh yes," Wolfstar howled, watching as Stormrunner paled weakly. His flame-hued eyes aggressively touched into Stormrunner's. "And you'll stand with us." It was a demand; Stormrunner had no choice but to join his father. A wave of shivers seized his spine.

However, Stormrunner still didn't understand what his father was telling. "What are you proposing?" Before he escaped with Violetsky, Stormrunner was his father's right-paw. He was next in line, he was the heir to this tragic kingdom.

Wolfstar's eyes suddenly darkened as he thought. Something evil stormed about within him. "Stormrunner, you will fight as a soldier." The tom twitched his whiskers roughly. "Because of your past treachery, you are no longer my apprentice."

But it didn't make any sense. Every word Wolfstar spoke seemed not to be real. For a faint second, Stormrunner wondered if he was delusional. He shook his head slowly, a disbelieving expression cast on his face. "But I'll die."

Wolfstar inhaled a strong breath, thinking. As Stormrunner's kin, he was expected to protect his son. He was expected to feel some sort of sympathy or dishearten. But as no cat should forget, Wolfstar doesn't know mercy. "Exactly." He barely hissed, sending hot shivers through the atmosphere.

Stormrunner's words were jammed in his throat. He wanted to speak but had nothing to say. All he could simply do was stand uselessly and heed the heartless cat he once thought of as a father.

Wolfstar slipped to his feet, shifting around to leave. But before disappearing entirely through the shrubbery, the feathery leader twisted around once more. He focused on Stormrunner, his eyes blaring holes through his son's broken gaze. "I'm sorry son." He said without any trace of true condolence. "But there's no doubt in my mind that you won't make a great soldier." And with that final remark, Wolfstar turned around and vanished from sight. 

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

author's note: this book is slowly coming to an end, only two more chapters after this one. and fun fact, the third and final book will be called soldier