xvi | welcome home

aesthetic made by shadethemask

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

The sun slowly rose above the horizon. Light danced upon the forest, a golden glow tickling the tops of the trees. The sky was drawn alive, its pale colors crumbled down to meet the ground. Midnight's darkness was slowly chased away and the stars were bathed in the sky. Now that he could finally see clearly, he crept through the undergrowth much quicker. The stems of plants and bushes yielded their way as the tom glided through. There wasn't a hint of reluctance in his head; he simply kept moving.

With each step, he neared his destiny. He felt like a monarch who had been lost on a journey and was finally returning to his kingdom. However, he was different. While on his journey, he didn't feel lost. Memories, like flashes of dying lights, throttled his mind. He remembered Violetsky's warmth in her words and the stories he showered in with Bramblepaw; Stormrunner was never lost if they were beside him.

But it was too late to turn back now. Stormrunner walked proudly, the forest paradise shifting into a rocky arena. He knew this place all too well, similar to salt in the see, it would never leave his bones.

As the gray-furred warrior stepped onward, a line of shadows appeared in his vision. He squinted his single eye, hundreds of cat silhouettes lined shoulder to shoulder. There were so many of them. Stormrunner, feeling icy chills spark down his spine, continued forth. And what he saw was true. Wolfstar's soldiers were arranged in a long row down the narrow path which would lead him to his father. The soldiers were painted with seriousness, when Stormrunner stepped past them not even their eyes twitched. It was some sort of sick welcoming. But how did he know? Stormrunner wondered. How did his father know of his return?

"My son," Spoke that voice. That voice that chased him like helpless prey in nightmares. That voice which prickled through his skin like thorns. There the owner of the voice stood, dignity sitting like a crown on his head. As the sun broke over the land, the light sliced over his kingly appearance. His brilliant amber eyes were enameled with electricity. Wolfstar grinned wickedly, "Welcome home."

Stormrunner stood just below the great rock, his chin lifted to center his attention to his father. Wolfstar could swamp him in greeting gifts and praise, but it would never make Stormrunner feel truly home. This place he grew up in was a battleground and he barely survived. So why had he come back? The answer was manifest: Stormrunner belonged here with his father. It was where his blood ran. As Violetsky had said before, "you cannot escape your dna."

"I'm not here to battle you, father." Stormrunner proclaimed loudly, showing as though he were addressing the point more to the soldiers than to Wolfstar. His father was no stranger. Stormrunner knew he conquered by planning surprise attacks on his enemies. And he also knew, Wolfstar was cruel enough to attack his own kin.

Wolfstar dipped his head, "I know."

Stormrunner frowned, glancing over his shoulder and back. He twitched his whiskers irritably, still not holding the faintest idea how. "How?" He dared to speak his mind. As the tom studied the soldiers still standing blandly, a sudden, horrific emotion smeared on his expression. "What is this?"

Wolfstar tapped his tail to the stone of the rock, signaling for Stormrunner to join alongside him. "Let me show you something." His sound was lavished in tranquility. He, known for his dictator alter-ego, was abnormally calm.

Stormrunner should've been afraid, however, he complied. He began climbing up the abandons, stones tumbling beneath his throbbing paws. He was wearied from the journey back but hated to waste even a minute of his return. As Stormrunner neared the top, he lost the breath in his lungs. The sight was astonishing. The rock was placed so high above the ground, it was as though they were perching on the peak of a mountain. With dawn shattering into the sky, everlasting sunlight stretched across the kingdom. The luster dappled into his eyes; each color swirling into a pastel paradise. The line where the sky tangled with the earth seemed to bow at their paws. Soldiers arranged in orderly lines below, anticipating their next command. Is this what power feels like?

Stormrunner could see Wolfstar clearly bathed in the orange light of the sun. His father met his eye. "I built this empire for you." Wolfstar's lackluster sadness stung the air. He swallowed the lump in his throat, "It was all yours before you ran away." His father's words were tantalizing. It was as though he was dangling a mouse just before his jaws. The fact this promised land was built for him only left Stormrunner wanting it more. Anyone would want to own a Clan like this.

"But I- I-" Stormrunner attempted to save himself. He was being manipulated by his father; he was a puppet nailed to strings. Wolfstar knew no one would turn down the offer to rule a beautiful empire, especially if they knew it was made for them. Stormrunner, now in his head about wanting this Clan, wouldn't leave if he believed it was his. So now Wolfstar could keep his son and his kingdom.

Wolfstar leaned in closer, smoothing his dark gray hairs. "Here's a word of my advice," he spoke softly into Stormrunner's ear. His striking amber eyes focused on the forest-top view his son was so caught on. "Cherish the view while you still can." And that was that. Wolfstar waltzed away, leaving Stormrunner lost in a never-ending labyrinth of his torture. 

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀