Chapter 2

"I don't think he's ready."

"Liz." Red turned in his chair to look at his wife seriously, "He's almost 15 years old, you've got to loosen up a little bit with him."

"I know, I know, I just-" Liz sighed, sitting on the arm of his chair and leaning onto him contemplatively. "He gets to overwhelmed."

"Only because he hasn't been exposed to the world yet." Red reminded her, "Let him go into town with Rue, let him meet people. Then, from there we'll increase it. First the town, then another town, then maybe the city."

"Maybe."

Red glanced at her and took her hand gently in his stone one. "He probably doesn't even remember what happened, honey."

"No, he does." Liz nodded firmly, "He knows, we've talked about it. He had nightmares, just like I did."

She turned on the arm to face him and looked him in the eye. "Listen to me, I understand him, I understand what he's afraid of. Ruby doesn't, and I know you try but I'm not sure if you fully do either, but I do. Just trust me."

Red sighed and shook his head. "Even you knew that locking yourself away wouldn't work in the end, babe. Remember?"

Liz frowned and turned away from him, and Red draped an arm around her waist, pulling her into his lap.

"Let Ruby take him for a walk. Not into town, just outside. We'll go from there." He muttered, kissing her shoulder gently.

Meanwhile, Ruby sat on her bed, examining the muscles in her arms. They were getting stronger, she could tell. She grinned proudly and sighed. She thought back to the library and her smile fell as she laid back on the bed.

She knew she shouldn't have at her brother the way she did, it was mean. But she couldn't help but want to at least try to get him out of the base.

But at the same time, she understood his fear. People were cruel to what they didn't understand. Hell, aside from being visibly muscular, Ruby looked pretty normal, but she still few double glances when she walked in public in shorts or sleeveless shirts. But even if she didn't mind it, she knew he would.

She thought that if she was strong enough, skilled enough, she could make him feel safe and he wouldn't have to hide.

Ruby then remembered that she didn't hear her brother come in that evening.

With a roll of her eyes, Ruby pulled on her slippers and ghosted her way through the dark base halls until she found her way to the library, still aglow with unnatural light. She sighed but smiled a little as she entered and found him still in his chair, bleary-eyed from lack of sleep.

"Hey, Dum-dum." She nudged him, "You alright?"

"I'm fine."

"You sure?" She sat at the table beside him and eyes him carefully, "You've been acting really weird lately."

Trevor sighed and set his book on the table, his finger holding his spot. "I can't sleep. I've been having nightmares again."

Ruby's heart sank and her shoulders slumped, "Oh, Trev."

"Don't say it like that," Trevor said lowly. "I'm not a child, I'm older than you."

"Yeah, by like, two minutes." Ruby pointed out before sighing. "Trevor, have you told Mom and Dad?"

"No."

"Good." She sat up, "Because tomorrow you and I are going to go for a walk outside."

Trevor shot up and eyed her incredulously. "I said No!"