13

The only thing that matters now is everything You think of me
In You I find my worth, in You I find my identity
__________________

THE FIVE of us sat at a bench outside the cafeteria. Tree branches swayed in the soft breeze, and the sunlight peaked through the leaves. The great weather did not match up to the gloomy atmosphere that weighed on our shoulders. You could tell everyone had something to say, but struggled to actually form words.

I bit into my apple and looked at each and every one of them.

Evie. The reason why she cared so much about Chad was because her mom wanted her to marry a prince! It made so much more sense now. She was raised under the expectations of perfection.

Carlos. I wonder if that was the first time he ever spoke to his mom like that. Judging by Cruella's reaction, it probably was.

Mal. She's a tricky one. In a lot of ways I feel most attached to her, since we both had very harsh and cold personalities growing up on the Isle. But she's changing, and so am I. And I'm starting to believe it when she said that we'll be okay if we stayed together.

Jay. I don't understand him. One second he's hurting Carlos, another he's defending him.

"Guys." I finally broke the silence.

They turned to me, halfway through eating.

"We need to talk." I continued, "Please."

"She's right." Evie said, "What happened earlier..."

"Evie." Mal reached over the table and grabbed her arm, "I love you."

Evie, looking a little taken back, answered, "I love you."

"You do not have to marry a prince just to satisfy your mother." Mal told her.

I nodded. Evie stared at her for a moment, then nodded too. I turned to Carlos, who sat next to me.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

Carlos looked up wearily. "Could be better." He admitted, "But thank you, all of you, for what you did earlier. It means a lot more than you know."

"It's horrible." Mal said, "Does she always talk to you like that?"

The meek look on his face answered the question.

"Carlos." Jay sighed, "I'm really sorry."

"I forgive you." The freckled boy said quietly, "But why did you defend me like that?"

Jay looked down at his food which he barely touched. "That whole tough act I put on? It's not really me." He confessed, "My dad taught me the only way to avoid hurt is to overpower other people. And, I guess, when I saw what she was doing to you..." The dark haired boy thumped his fist on the table. "It just wasn't right. It wasn't right in any way. I didn't know... I didn't know... How could you let me bully you for so many years without telling me to stop?"

"I was honestly kind of used to being push around." Carlos replied.

"Well, we're in Auradon now." I told him, "No one's gonna push you around anymore."

"But we'll be back soon." Carlos' voice broke, "And I'm terrified of what she'll do to me..."

Mal stood up. "Then you're not going back."

We all turned sharply towards her.

"I'll steal the wand. You guys should stay." She said.

"Mal-" Evie started.

"I can take the blame. They won't expel you if they don't find out you were involved."

"If you're leaving, I'm going with you." Evie said sternly.

"Evie!" Mal said, disheartened, "I saw the look on your face when we first walked into those dorms. You're happier here, more than you'll ever be on the Isle. I can't let you go back."

"Mal." I said, "I appreciate it, but don't you want to stay too?"

"I..." She exhaled loudly, "I don't have a choice."

"But you do!" I intercepted.

"I want to make my mother proud." Mal told me, "If she wants the wand, I'll give it to her."

"Listen, Mal." I said, standing up as well, "I might not know much about having parents, but let me ask you this: Has your mother ever been proud of you?"

The purple haired girl hung her head down. "No, no matter how hard I try."

"Okay. Be honest with me, do you really think you'll find what you're looking for if you hand her the wand?"

"No." Mal confessed, "She'll push me aside, as always."

I smiled at her, and held onto her hand, "Mal, you deserve better than that." I turned to the others, "You all deserve better than that interaction we just had with your parents." I shook my head. "We don't have to go back."

"You know, Brae." Jay cut in, "I knew deep down, you're not evil, ever since our first encounter on the Isle."

"When you stole my sandwich?" I asked, laughing a little. So much had happened since then.

"You went in and demanded for a sandwich with a knife." Jay explained, "But you left ten cans of soup, which is worth a lot more than a sandwich, for the owner's family of five. And, you only used your knife to threaten people, not to actually hurt anyone."

I smiled. I can't say he's wrong.

"Please, stay." I told Mal, "If you think that's what good for you, stay."

She pursed her lips. "I'll think about it."

There was a scrunching of leaves behind me, and I looked back and spotted Ben.

"Hey guys." He said, smiling and holding a tray of food in his hands, "Is it alright if I join you?"

Jay moved over. "Sure."

"Fairy Godmother told me about what happened with her surprise." Ben said, "And I just thought I'd check on you."

Mal sat down opposite him. "We're alright."

Ben stared at her intently, then shook his head and blinked as if he had just escaped a trance. The young prince took one of the boxes on his tray and set it in front of Carlos, who looked at him curiously.

"It's chocolate." Ben smiled again, as sweet as ever, "I noticed your chocolate covered face when we first met."

Carlos turned red with embarrassment and we all laughed. "Thanks."

"I don't blame you." Ben grinned, "Chocolate is pretty good."

"Ben!" Audrey's voice rang from the cafeteria as she waved at him, "C'mon, I saved us a table!"

"I think I'm gonna stay here for lunch today." He yelled back, nudging his head towards us, "Thanks anyway!"

Audrey looked annoyed as she whipped around and walked away.

Ben turned back around and watched Mal drink out of her milk carton. "Hey."

Mal set her drink down. "Hm?"

"Mal, have you always had those golden flecks in your eyes?" Ben said, his expression soft.

I had to turn behind me to hide my grin, only to catch Carlos doing the same. We silently laughed at each other as Mal spluttered at Ben's sweet words.

"I-uh."

"Well, they're beautiful." Ben finished.

Mal raised an eyebrow, a smile tugged at her lips. "Thanks?"

"You're welcome."