29

Does she make you feel wanted?
Is she all you wanted?
'Cause I wanna know, yeah, I wanna know
_____________________

"SHOOT."

I turned to Evie. "Something wrong?" I asked as we made our way to our locker after chemistry.

The bluette was frantically going through her bag. "Yeah. I'm supposed to be meeting Doug in half an hour but I think Jay has my workbook and I don't have time-"

"Hey, don't worry." I said reassuringly, "Half an hour is plenty of time to swing by the boys' dorm and get it back. I'll come with you."

"Okay."

The boys' dorm wasn't far, but it wasn't near either. I went with Evie because I knew how anxious she was about schoolwork... unlike me.

"So what're you and Doug up to later?" I asked as she speed-walked ahead of me.

"Studying." She replied, a little out of breath.

I suppressed a snort. "Again? Evie, c'mon. I'm no expert but there are dates far more interesting than studying."

"Oh I know." She looked back at me, smiling playfully, "I just... want to get to know him first. I'll let one thing lead to another."

I shrugged. "Sensible."

After another twist of a corridor, Evie got to their door. I leaned against the wall, waiting for her to knock. But she froze, then slowly broke into a grin.

Come here, she mouthed.

I raised a intrigued eyebrow, before joining her at the door quietly. I realized she was eavesdropping when I heard Jay and Carlos' voices. She pressed her ear against the wooden door.

"I don't know how to, Jay." Carlos was saying.

"It's not hard." Jay answered, "Just ask her to cotillion."

"Easy for you to say." Carlos snorted.

"Carlos." Jay huffed, "You like her. She might like you back. But in order to know, you gotta ask her."

Suddenly I was attacked by a swarm of butterflies in my stomach. Desperate to shake the feeling away, my hand sprang up and knocked loudly on the door. Their conversation came to a halt. Evie gave me a puzzled look.

The door opened. "Woah, hey there." Jay said to us, holding a tourney bat in his hand.

I peered in and saw Carlos seated at the desk in front of his laptop, his hair partially in his eyes. He blinked, then looked away. I did the same. Dude was snuggled on the couch.

"Hey." Evie grinned, "I heard someone talk about cotillion."

Jay looked back at Carlos, who snapped up, looking panicked.

"Who were you talking about?" Evie asked the white haired boy teasingly.

"Uh- I-" He was stuttering really badly, "Just- Jane."

I felt my heart drop.

Jay threw his arms up and gave Carlos a look. "Oh really?" He said. It was obvious he wasn't pleased with his answer.

Carlos responded with a panicked glare.

"You have my workbook." Evie explained to Jay.

There was a few seconds of what are you talking about? on Jay's face before he lit up and hurried over to his bag.

"Here. Sorry." Jay apologized, handing it to Evie.

"Don't worry about it." Evie smiled, "Okay, I'm heading over to the library. Catch you guys later."