Three

The man looks back at me. The darkness makes it hard to work out his appearance. He stands there, still as a statue.

Unsure if he can see me, I don't move. I don't breathe.

Then his head turns in my direction.

My first instinct is to swiftly shut the curtains. But I clear my throat and do the stupidest thing in the world.

I talk to him.

"Get the hell off of my porch. This is private property."

"I do not mean to disturb your night, Jason Hill."

Jason Hill? How the hell does he know my name? Did he have enough time to look in my car and find something?

"I've called the cops," I say sharply. "So you might want to leave before they show up."

"You have not called the police, Jason Hill."

His voice is deep and still. Nothing shakes his tone, but it isn't monotone. Steady and sure, as if he saw straight into my soul.

"Yeah, keep telling yourself," I say with bravado. "I'm not giving you another warning. Get the hell off of my property."

"I want Freddie back."

He taps the window and my skin crawls at the tinny ring. "She doesn't want to come back," I say sharply.

His finger slides down the window and my face twists at the irksome squeak. "Jason Hill, you have nothing to fear. I will not enter until you invite me."

Who does he think he is? A vampire?

"Then you won't be entering," I retort.

"You will invite me." His confidence is so strong and striking that I take an uneasy step back. "You will give Freddie back to me."

"Yeah, sorry man, but Freddie isn't a thing," I say sharply. "She's a person. And if the lady doesn't want to go with you, that's that."

I don't want to engage with this asshole anymore, so I move to close the window. My heart jumps at a loud thud as he slams his hand against the window.

"You have let a serpent into your home, Jason Hill. Let her go now and return to your life of mediocrity. The longer she stays, the less hope you have of returning to that life."

My very bones chill at the threat. I take a deep breath and slam my own hand against the window. Freddie yelps at the noise, but I ignore her. "Who the hell do you think you are talking to?" I demand. "I'm not some kid you can push around. Now get the fuck off of my porch!"

I barely contain this anger on ordinary days. My hands shake as I unleash it on the son of a bitch. It's all I can do not to throw open the door and launch myself at him.

But that wouldn't be wise. So I stare him down instead.

"It has begun."

And those are his parting words. He turns, walks down the porch and makes his way across the yard. I don't take my eyes off the retreating figure until he disappears into darkness.

Taking a deep breath, I turn to Freddie who is looking up at me. It's too dark to see her expression, but I know she is freaked out.

"I'm...I'm sorry," I say quietly. "I have a bit of an anger problem."

"No," she says in a small voice. "It's because of me."

"Don't," I say sharply. "It's not you."

I ignore the part of me that blames her. I don't like that ugly side of me. Emily thinks it's because I push so much down.