Prologue

Cuan Bryan. 

5.5 feet tall with lean yet strong muscles like that of a swimmer. A sharp jawline for a female, tanned complexion and piercing sea-green eyes. Hair is short, black and always looks as if it has been blowing in a salty sea breeze. Everything about her screams Greek.

But her accent shows otherwise. Born and raised in New Zealand by a single mother who moved there from Scotland with her parents.

Summer at Piha Beach is when Ms Bryan met Lord Poseidon. The result of their quick fling; Cuan, named for the Scottish-Gaelic word for Sea or Ocean. Pronounced Kuan.

She stands at the entrance of a small cave on an island off the coast of Athens, Greece. There had been reports of strange smells and sounds emitting from the cave, authorities had come up with nothing but Cuan wanted to check for herself. Various Greek monsters and spirits had been getting restless lately, perhaps whatever was happening in this cave held clues as to why that was.

Zipping up her jacket and turning on her torch, the young woman made her way into the dark, rocky maw. The sound of her black combat boots hitting the rock floor echoes softly around the chamber. 

Shinning the torch around the cavern, it seemed to be a never-ending tunnel of black. Something was off about this cave. A soft scent of something rancid hit Cuan's nostrils, it took a moment to decipher the smell. Sulfur.

There were known geothermal vents in the area surrounding Athens, but this cave wasn't one of them. The stench got stronger and stronger the deeper into the cave she went. Eventually, it became hard to breathe and the torch seemed to do nothing to help push back the oppressive darkness that surrounded her.

An uneven piece of rock stuck out from the floor causing Cuan to trip over. She braced for impact but it never came. A sickening sensation in her stomach took its place instead, she was falling.

The smell of Sulfur just got stronger and stronger as she fell.