Part One.

August 21st 1924

It was a lovely summers day in Small Heath, even though you wouldn't be able to tell if you were walking down the cobbled streets. Smoke flew high in the air from the factories covering what would be a blue sky. June Hathaway had always been a sucker for the summer season. When she lived in the countryside just outside of London, she would run around in the field next to her house, making daisy chains and watching slithers of clouds go by. Sometimes there wouldn't even be a cloud to be seen, just blue skies for miles.

At the age of 13 June's parents moved to Small Heath Birmingham. Unable to upkeep their small farm in the village they lived in, moving seemed the only option. Her father had been offered a job as a factory manager due to having previous experience in the role, where as when they sold the farm, they used the money for her mother to purchase a small flower shop around the corner from where they now live. Now aged 16, June would help out at the shop often. She enjoyed it more than she let on, the bright colours of the flowers seemed to brighten her day in dull Birmingham.

"June!" A young boys voice could be heard from behind her. She turns around, the basket of flowers in her hand swinging around with her. 

"Oh hi Finn" an innocent smile forming on her face. Her best friend, Finn Shelby came running up to her. 

"I think you dropped these" he passes her some flowers that just have fallen out of her basket. Taking them off him she places them with the others. They both start to walk towards the flower shop, which wasn't that far. 

"Are you working all day?" Finn asks, June nods, causing Finn to pout. He had been bored out of his mind all morning, wanting an excuse to be able to get out of the house for a bit. 

"I could probably get off around 3?" June says. Finn nods in agreement as they walk through the door of the shop. 

"Morning Mrs Hathaway" Finn nods. June's mother smiles politely, then turns her back to continue with her work. She was never really fond of June being his friend, as she had heard so much about his family. He seemed harmless enough but you never know when he will get roped into the family business, and she certainly didn't want June involved with that. 

"Is there anything I can help with?" Finn asks, adamant not wanting to go home. 

"No sorry dear, why don't you go on home, maybe you can see June later?" Mrs Hathaway ushers him out of the shop. He waves sadly to, June as the door closes. He knows that her mother was not too pleased with him being associated with her, and no matter how polite he was she would always push him away. He turns on his heal and Walks back home, thinking of what he can do for the rest of the day.

"There was no need to send him out" June whispers to her mother, arranging the flowers from her basket into a bouquet.

"I'm not quite sure what you see in the boy... being a Shelby" her mother rolls her eyes, tidying up the shop window. 

"He isn't like the others. He's my best friend here mum, he looks out for me" 

"Yes well. Any sign of him following his brothers footsteps you are not to go near him" she huffs, finishing the window and walking to the back of the shop. June rolls her eyes at her mothers stubbornness, not seeing the nicer side to Finn. He had always been there for June since they moved here.  He would keep an eye out for her, ensuring she was safe and always smiling. She didn't get to see him very often since helping at the shop and also since being with her boyfriend, George. They had been together for almost a year now. Finn wasn't too pleased when they first got together, not ever having got on with George when at school. She laughs at the memory, thinking about how things still haven't changed.

"I've got something to tell you" June sits on the end of Finn's bed, her hands clasped together. Finn's head spins around from his book he was studying, narrowing his eyes.

"Yes?" He asks, patiently waiting, although June had noticed his leg start to jig up and down, his way of trying to control his patience, which was actually very little. 

"I have a boyfriend. We've been on a few dates. He asked me last night" she looks down at the floor. That was the easy part. It was the next sentence she was dreading to say.

"Who is it?"a small smile forms on Finn's lips. There was a slight pang of jealousy. He would never admit it to her, or to anyone, but he did like the girl a little. Enough to not want to hear the words 'I have a boyfriend' 

"Well... it's George Kinney" she whispers

"Who?" Finn asks, not quite catching the name. June finally looks up and catches his eye, trying to feel confident.

"George Kinney" she says a lot louder. She could feel her cheeks flush red as Finn's face dropped into a frown, his eyebrows furrowed. Without saying a word Finn gets up and walks out of the room angrily, leaving June to sit in her own thoughts on the bed.

She remembers it was only about half an hour after he stormed out that he came back in and apologised. That's her best friend though, short patience and short tempered, but still cared.

***
3 o'clock soon came around and June was able to leave the shop for the day. She walks out of the door and spots Finn waiting across the street for her, leaning against one of the lampposts.
"Today has been so BORING" he rolls his eyes, leading the way. June giggles, knowing that most of the time during the summer holidays Finn doesn't get up to much. 

"I thought we could go sit on the bridge by the river?" She suggests. He nods in agreement. This one of of June's favourite places to visit with Finn, as it was the first place they bumped into each other, where she instantly knew they would be friends. 

"How was work?" He asks. She shrugs, nothing more to elaborate. 

"Same old same old" she says, spotting the bridge. 

"Race you" she wiggles her eyebrows and starts to run. 

"Hey!! Not fair!" She could hear Finn laugh behind her followed by the heavy sound of his feet hitting the ground. He beat her just by a few seconds. 

"Loser" he lighting pushes her shoulder, before sitting on the wall, his legs hanging over the edge. June follows, Finn holding her hand as she kicks her legs over. They sit there for a while, laughing over memories from the last time they were here when Finn actually fell into the river. 

"June?" They heard a voice from behind them, so they turn to see George. 

"Oh hey George" June's laugh starts to reside as she spots her boyfriend. Getting off the bridge she walks up to him and plants a kiss on his cheek, but his attention isn't on her, but Finn instead. 

"I've been looking for you. Let's go" George says through gritted teeth, grabbing June's arm. 

"But she's spending the afternoon with me" Finn narrows his eyebrows. 

"Who would you rather be with right now?" George turns to look at June, his grip on her arm tightening but hidden from view of Finn. She points at George, fearing if she was to say anything out loud it would just be a squeak. His grip loosens and moves down to her hand, taking it in his. They start to walk away. June turns to Finn with a sad look. He has a mixture of emotions on his face, anger being the most prominent. 

"Look away" George says bluntly. She turns back to face the direction they were walking, leaving Finn to just stare after them.