Part Three.

Start writing your story

June glances at herself in the mirror as she walks towards the door, wanting to make sure her hair looked the neatest it could. She had placed her long brown hair in a low bun, so it was out of her face for her work day ahead. She was opening the shop up this morning as her mother wasn't feeling the best and would be heading in later on, or so she said. Despite her saying she wasn't well she was still flying around the house doing house worse and making sure everything looked nice.

"Oh June, you wouldn't mind taking your fathers lunch to him would you? he forgot it!" Her mother smiles, passing June a lunchbox full of food.

"of course Mother" she nods, not wanting to get on the wrong side of her. She had been a little hit or miss lately.  Without another word, June walks out of the door and makes her way in the opposite direction of the flower shop. The sky was full of clouds, looming over Small Heath. Or smoke from the factories maybe? She couldn't tell. June felt like it had been a while since she had properly seen, or even spoken to her father, seeing as he was always staying late at the factory, and was the first to leave the house in the morning, many a time before June had even woken up. 

Curtains were being drawn back in windows and doors were being opened as people woke up for the day and made their way to work. Looking to her left, she could see a young couple stood in the doorway of a house, kissing and smiling at each other goodbye as he headed off for work. As the man walked away, the woman placed a hand over her heart, still smiling and staring after him. Young love. At the age of 16, June had always wondered what her future may entail. Would she have Love like that? Love that only would warm her heart rather than hurt it? She absentmindedly placed her hand on top of her coat over where the bruise still lay from George, but then shakes her head and ignores her thoughts as she now, was nearing the factory. 

Men's heads turn as she walks through to the back offices. A  girl walking around a big old factory was unseen, so it must of come to a shock to them. June raises her hand and knocks on the door.

"Come in" A gruff voice could be heard from inside. She pushes it open to reveal her father sat at his desk, looking exhausted. His hair was slicked back in its normal hair style, but his clean shaven face had stubble growing, his eyes were barely open, bags under them from lack of sleep. 

"Daddy... I've bought your lunch" June smiles, holding out the lunchbox. He looks up, shocked to see his daughter stood infront of him, but the shock is soon replaced with a smile. 

"Thank you Love" Mr Hathaway gets up from his chair to take the lunch from June, before bringing her in for a hug. "Thank you" he repeats himself. 

"Daddy, you're not looking too well" she admits, taking a seat opposite him. He sighs loudly, not sure on how to respond. Sure, he had been picking up extra shifts, and had barely been home. All he could think about when he was out of work, was in fact work. All he wanted to do was keep his boss happy. 

"I'll be fine. I'm just tired June bug" he places a hand on her cheek, rubbing his thumb over it. June loved this. No matter how old she is, he would always do this. Whenever he was being sincere, even from being a young toddler, he would touch her cheek. She also smiles at her old nickname he seems to have not forgotten.  Another knock on the door alerted the both of them out of their father - daughter moment. 

"Come in" Her father says, walking back behind his desk. A man walks in wearing a tailcoat and a newsboy hat. His eyes were piercing blue and his jaw line sharp. He nods at June's father before acknowledging June herself. She knew instantly who this was.

"Ah, Good Morning Mr Shelby. How can I help today?" June's father smile. 

"Now now Jack, I've said plenty of times call me Tommy. I've only popped by to see how things are going" He nods again. "Now who's this?" he points towards June. Although Thomas knew full well who she was, he still felt like a proper introduction was necessary. Before her father could say anything, she stands up and steps forward, extending her hand. 

"I was just bringing my father his Lunch Sir. He had forgotten it this morning. I'm June Hathaway" Tommy raises an eyebrow at the girl before also extended his hand and shaking hers. 

"You're Finn's friend?" he asks, she nods back in return, mimicking him, although he didn't seem to notice. "Right, well I've also got an invitation for you and your family, Jack. My wife is throwing a charity ball, and I would like you all to join. I'm sure Finn will mention it at some point to you" He looks down at June. Her father gladly accepts the invitation, saying how he will mention it to his wife.

"Brilliant. I'll see you there" Tommy nods once more, before walking out of the office. June notices her father let out of a breath he seemed to have been holding in. 

"Right, you best be off to open the shop before your mother has a fit" he gives his daughter a weaker smile compared to his previous. She doesn't say anything in return, other than waving him goodbye, and walking back in the direction of the flower shop, ready for her working day.