Chapter One

"Hey Derek... if we have time tonight, you wanna go grab dinner?" My best friend, and crush, asked me.
"Sure Pretty Boy, where at?" I asked Spencer.
"Oh... anywhere," he trailed off. "Where ever you want."
I smiled up at him, meeting his eyes. He smiled back, a light blush spreading over his face.
"How about that new Chinese restaurant over by butler stadium?" I asked him.
He nodded quickly in response. "That sounds perf-good. That sounds good."

     Spencer and I walked out into the cool evening fall air. Spencer's shoulders instantly relaxed, all the stress of work rolling off them.
     "I'll drive," I told him.
     "Oh. Are you sure?" He asked me. "I don't care to."
     "Of course I'm sure, Pretty Boy."
The car ride was silent, but it wasn't uncomfortable. I was never uncomfortable around Spencer.
What was strange though was how fidgety Spencer was. He seemed nervous.
"You ok kid?" I asked him.
"Oh, uhh yeah. Yeah I'm fine Derek," he muttered quickly.
That was unusual too. He never tripped over his words like that.
"Ok pretty boy. We're here," I said, turning off the car and opening my door.
He slid out too, and i followed Spencer to the front door of the little restaurant.
A waitress came and seated us at the back of the restaurant. She was flirty, making direct eye contact with me, and twirling her hair around her finger. She didn't look at Spencer at all.
"My name is Amelia. What can I get you boys to drink?" She asked, looking directly at me.
     "I'll take a Diet Coke," I told  Amelia, smiling up at her.
     She blushed, before turning to Spencer. "And you?"
     "Umm, expresso please," he said, looking down at the table. "Sugar and cream too."
     She nodded and walked away.
     "So how was work Spence?" I asked him.
     He finally looked up and me and I nearly got lost in his light brown eyes. He chuckled a bit. "You were there with me Derek," he said.
     "I know kid, but we never really get a chance to talk talk ya know?" I asked him.
     He nodded in response before opening his mouth.
     "Here's your drinks," Amelia said. "What can I get you two to eat?"
     "I'll get the..." I glanced quickly over the menu. "The chicken and rice stir fry."
     "I'll have that right up. And you?" She asked, unwillingly peeling her eyes away from mine to look at Spencer.
     "The veggies with rice, please," he told her.
     She nodded and walked away.
     "So what were you gonna say?" I asked.
     He blinked up at me with his wide doe-like eyes. "W-What were we talking about?" He asked me quietly.
     This wasn't like him at all. Being forgetful like this. "Work," I told him. "I asked you about how your day was."
"Oh. Right. Umm it was good. How was your day?" He asked me.
I nodded. "It was good too, thanks."
"Mhm," he nodded. He ran his shaky hands through his hair.
"Spence what's wrong?" I asked him, growing worried.
He cleared his throat. "Nothing. Why?"
I studied him. "You're acting weird, kid."
"Oh... I-I'm sorry," he mumbled, staring at the table.
"No, it's ok, I was just worried," I quickly explained.
"I'll be right back," he muttered, quickly standing up and walking towards the restrooms.
I groaned internally as I saw Amelia walking towards the table with two plates of food in her hands.