5. The Issues of Trust

"There's no need to be afraid, Nevi." Agent Harley, the Director's most trusted agent said as he loaded Genevieve's duffel bag into the trunk of the car.

"I'm not afraid, Andrew." she replied sternly. It was the truth. Davidson hadn't assigned her to face any physical harm. She was there to provide and get information, nothing more and nothing less.

Harley turned to face her, closing the trunk behind him, "It's good to have you back, Nevi." He put a hand on her arm and squeezed it reassuringly. He turned around and slipped through the door, closing it behind him.

Genevieve sighed as she looked down at her hands. She opened the backseat of the car and got in next to Nicole who was sharpening a pocket knife. She looked over to Carlos, who was sitting beside Nicole, silently asking him what was wrong with her. He chuckled and shook his head and resumed gazing out the window and drinking whatever was in his water canteen.

The front seat doors opened and Kiara and Flynn slid inside. Kiara started the car and pushed the pedal, throwing the car forward. Genevieve took out her phone to occupy herself as they car moved further into the city.

Genevieve was scrolling down her phone when her phone dinged, signaling a new message had been delivered. They were out of the area Blind Spot resided in and into the city. Genevieve eyebrows furrowed. No one ever texted her. No one even had her number.

She opened the message and studied the number, recalling if she had ever come across it. When she couldn't remember anything she proceeded to read the message.

—take the nearest U-turn. They are here.

'Who?'—was Genevieve's first thought. She was about to ask the suspicious number too, when the car swerved violently to the right and threw her to the car door. Her phone dropped to the car floor and she picked it up. There was a new message, probably giving her further details but the car stopped and everyone got out. And suddenly she didn't need to read the message to know who exactly was here.

Because they were there standing in front of them, with their 'R' tattoo on show and armed. But the R wasn't the in its usual cursive form. Redstone had a very precise and specific branding and it never changed. So if this wasn't Redstone, then who was targeting Blind Spot?

The bullets were fired.

Kiara ran straight to them and grabbed a man the collar and smashed her knee into his face, breaking his nose. Another man came from behind with a gun and fired it. Kiara dodged the first bullet and shielded herself from the other one using the man who now had a crooked nose.

Suddenly, Genevieve was pulled by the bend of her elbow towards the car trunk. She turned her head to see who had pulled her and saw Flynn guiding her to the back of the car, where she saw Carlos and Nicole where already there. Nicole bent down started working joining the barbed wires and device to each other. Carlos left as soon as he took out a large rifle and some extra bullets, disarming attackers as he walked to assist Kiara.

"Here," Flynn said, hastily grabbing a revolver from the trunk and handing it to her. He took some extra bullets for himself and looked at her, nodding. And then he took off.

Genevieve stared at the gun in her hands. It had been a long while since she had felt the cool metal in her hand and not her head. She wasn't skilled with a gun. She didn't even know how to fire one, much less assemble one. So, she looked in the trunk for anything useful she could use. A laptop was in the back of the bag they had stored in the trunk. She quickly grabbed it and opened the laptop and found that it was not password protected. Her phone dinged again.

—Ten more in the van down south.

She looked to the south side of the road and found that they were right. She heard an explosion from where the fight was commencing and thought that Nicole must have been sparking her wires again.