10. Bombs in Basements

"Flynn, can I speak with you?"

When Genevieve came downstairs to where everyone else was, it was nighttime. She had spent about six hours sorting through her brother's things. Another hour was spent trying to get past her brother's laptop password. Even dead he had denied her access to his computer.

Braxton, Flynn, C.J and Carson were in the kitchen, all speaking to each other. Carson's voice was angry as he spoke to Agent Braxton. The words from her brother's letter ran through her head.

She knew that the gang business wasn't for her. She couldn't follow orders. Being a Kleptomaniac meant acting on impulses. And gangs weren't going to be nice to her because she had a disorder. She knew Jackson had made some kind of weapon before he was killed. And she knew that weapon was the reason Redstone was chasing her.

She didn't know how old that letter was, but she knew that whatever he had told her then would be the same today.

Redstone had a Jackson-made weapon and they had killed Jackson before they knew how to use it. Redstone used to think that Genevieve—the inventor's sister would know how to make it work and so they chased her. Five years later, Redstone realizes that she doesn't know anything and they start to chase and kill Blind Spot Agents—people who Jackson had supplied information to.

The agents in the room turned to her but her eyes stayed glued to Flynn's frame. He looked at her and cleared his throat, taking his leave from the room. Genevieve gave him an apologetic smile as he walked out of the kitchen and led her to a seat in the living room.

"So," he started once they both were sat down. "What was it you wanted to talk about?"

Genevieve reached for the letter sitting on top of Jackson's laptop. She had brought the things she wanted to take with her downstairs. She handed Flynn the paper. He took the letter from her hands as his eyes skimmed through the first few lines. His gaze flew to her as he immediately handed her the paper. "This is your brother's last letter to you Genevieve. I can't read it—"

She pushed his hand back to chest, gesturing for him to read, "Just read it."

He lowered his gaze to the paper and started to read. "My brother left me this letter in his Will," she told him. "He speaks about the weapon in there and about how Redstone will come after me because of it. Now five years later, Redstone doesn't hunt me anymore, instead he goes after—"

"Instead he goes after Blind Spot Agents"—Flynn said, continuing her train of thought—"when he realizes you don't know anything. But that still doesn't explain why Redstone would leave a burned message outside our safe house and also how would your brother know all this when he—when did he?"

She noticed, he didn't say the word 'die'. She almost forgot that Flynn had too lost his brother—Clint Davidson—five years ago, around the same time she did. "He died when I was eighteen. So, five years ago."

Flynn had been wary of asking her the question, maybe he thought that she would cry. Under his intense gaze, her nail dug into her skin again. Flynn's gaze shifted to her fingers. When his forehead creased, she spoke again. "Do you remember, I told you that I used to live in here?"

Noticing her change of topic, he slowly nodded. "Yeah, with the Singh family," she raised an eyebrow and he shot her a smile. "I did my research."

Jackson had always been an inventor before a computer expert. He built things before he even touched a keyboard. And Vincent Redstone had seen his true potential. Her brother was put to work.

Dangerous weapons were made deadly. Fearless people were made murderous. Redstone had resources and Jackson had the mind.

"When we used to live here, there used to be a bunker near our house—the kind used in wars for rest and hiding. It was abandoned and no one really cared about it, so my brother made it his inventing-garage. Everything he built and was planning to build would be there," she paused, waiting for a reaction. When he nodded his head for her to go on, she spoke. "If Redstone really has a Jackson-made weapon, then its designs will be in that bunker."