Pilot Part 3

Danny was planning on heating up some leftovers for dinner, but Tucker, to the joy of the kids, brought pizza. He even found vegan pizza for Sam, being loaded as a current representative. So many cool restaurants existed in DC!

Even more excited than Danny and Sam to see Tuck, it seemed like, were Jackson and Lily. Lily always asked about when she could see "Uncle Tuck" and she could usually count on him bringing her the latest techy toy or trinket when he visited. Right now she was too busy to eat her pizza, instead giggling and petting a robot pterodactyl which moved its head, wings, and mouth, cawing occasionally.

Meanwhile, Jackson loved to hear about Tucker's experience as a representative and the people he encountered around him.

"The representative from Pennsylvania tries to steal my thunder as the techno-geek rep all the time," Tucker was saying to Jackson. "Just the other day he got one of those plug-in fans for his cellphone, just to spite me. And it doesn't help we're both in the Science, Space, and Technology Committee."

"Which is kinda stupid, if you think about it, because everyone knows those fans drain your phone battery, like, super fast!" added Jackson.

"Exactly!"

The night went on just like this, everyone having a great time. Sam, Danny, and Tucker all got to catch up, the kids were happy, and Danny was so content that the day's incidents slipped into the back of his mind. But all too soon, it was time for Tucker to leave. He had to be back in the Capitol Building for meetings early the next morning.

Sam excused herself to put Lily to bed. She quickly gave Tucker a hug goodbye, then gave Danny a peck on the check as she carried her sleepy daughter to her crib. Lily tiredly blinked at Tucker and gave him a small smile, then closed her eyes and rested her head on Sam's shoulder. Tucker smiled back, then turned to Jackson.

"See ya dude." Jackson grinned back and gave Tucker a fist bump, then went back to the kitchen table, most likely resuming homework.

They give kids way too much homework these days, Danny thought.

"Care to walk me out?" Tucker suggested, opening the front door.

"Sure."

They strolled down the darkened sidewalk alongside the house. Then Tucker slowed, gazing up at the night sky. There were a few wispy clouds, but the Milky Way could still be seen.

Danny tilted his head back and glanced at Tucker.

"What is it?"

Tucker continued observing the sky.

"You went ghost today." he replied, his voice level.

White-hot shock coursed through Danny's body.

"W-what?" he sputtered. He tried again, trying to remain calm.

"What do you mean, I went ghost today?" he accused, then paused. "I mean, how would you know?" he mumbled more quietly.

Taking off his glasses, Tucker took a deep breath and finally turned to face Danny, locking eyes with him. Danny couldn't read his expression, which made him nervous.

"I..." It seemed like Tucker was finding it difficult to explain this, which was pretty unusual for him. "I, okay. Before, no, after that final, fight, where you promised to never go ghost again?"

Danny nodded.

"I, well, planted a chip on you." Tucker looked contemplative for moment. "No, more like in you. Telling me when you went ghost, if you ever did." He put his glasses back on, then stared at Danny seriously, waiting for a response.