Chapter 6: Stone Giants

"Look I think you're mistaking me for someone else. But what if I can help you find her?" I suggested. "I've seen visions of her and some broken pieces of what I think belong to her past. Maybe if I concentrate hard enough I can find out where she currently is. What's your name?"

"Hithaerdes." She replied. 

The woman looked as though she wanted to say something else, but Elrond spoke. "Hithaerdes, I think it's best if we let Malia rest. I can imagine she's weary after her long journey."

I nodded. "Yeah, I think that would be best."

"Come, I'll show you to your chambers." Elrond urged.

With that, the three of us walked out of the gardens and through the beautiful hallways that were partially covered. Once we reached my room, Elrond stepped aside, allowing me to enter. As soon as I entered, I was in awe. The room had a giant bed, a night table with some candles, a window of the beautiful view of Rivendell's waterfall, a chair with a desk, and another door leading to the bathroom. I turned around to face Elrond. "Thank you very much."

"You're welcome." He replied with a warm smile. "Sleep well. Come along Hithaerdes."

Hithaerdes gave me one last look before my room with Elrond.

•••

Days had past and we remained in Rivendell for some time. It was a good break from being on the road for the past months. I had tried to avoid Hithaerdes, who would constantly ask me questions about her sister. I understood she wanted to know what happened to her sister, but it was too overwhelming and the pain was too much. Ever since these dreams began, my nightmares had gotten worse. The horrid memories of being sucked into Tartarus with Percy and Annabeth had emerged after I spent years, trying to block it out. Currently, I was in Elrond's personal library with Percy, Neil, Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, and Gandalf. We were waiting for Thorin to show the map to Elrond, who stood beside Hithaerdes. Hithaerdes looked as though she had much to tell me, but I refused to look her in the eyes.

"What's up with that elf and why does she keep looking at you like you're hiding something?" Percy asked me.

I shrugged, not wanting to get into any details. Fortunately Elrond spoke up. "I believe you wanted to show me something."

Thorin narrowed his eyes. "Our business is no concern of elves."

"For goodness sake. Thorin, show him the map!" Gandalf exclaimed, losing his patience.

"It is the legacy of my people. It's mine to protect! As are its secrets." Thorin retorted.

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond!" Gandalf urged.

Thorin reluctantly took out the map, causing Balin to reach out to grab the map from Thorin as he cried out. "Thorin, no!"

Thorin gently pushed aside Balin's arm before handing the map over to Elrond. Elrond took one glance at the map before looking back at Thorin. "Erebor. What is your interest in this map?"

Before Thorin could say anything, Gandalf spoke up. "It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifacts sometimes contains hidden text."

Thorin gave a Gandalf grateful look, which I hope went unnoticed by Elrond.

"You still read ancient dwarvish, do you not?" Gandalf asked.

Elrond looked at the map again. "Cirth ithil."

Gandalf's eyes widened. "Moon runes. Of course. An easy thing to miss."

"Well in this case, that is true. Moon runes can only be read by the light of the moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." Elrond explained.