Chapter 3

Ponyboy ran until his lungs hurt and it felt like he would drop. He ran to the graveyard and sat in front of his mom's grave.

"I don't know what to do mom. I really don't." Ponyboy said to the empty air.

Ponyboy knew that Darry loved him, but the slap was bringing everything back. The running away the murder and his parents and his friends deaths.

Yet, his friends aren't dead.

Ponyboy put his head in his hands and cried.

OoO

Meanwhile...

Darry looked at his hand in shock before the room exploded. Dally reached over and smacked Darry on the back of the head. "What the fuck was that?!" He yelled angrily.

Darry could only shake his head. "I-I didn't mean too."

Two-bit scoffed. "Sound an awful lot like Pone there, Dar."

Darry shook his head and hid it in his hands. Soda watched in stunned silence. Johnny looked down before saying something that almost make Darry break into tears.

"You know, the one thing I've always admired about you, is that you were nothing like my father. Maybe, I was wrong." Johnny said, glaring at Darry. "I'm gonna go find Ponyboy."

Johnny and Dally left together, slamming the door as they went.

OoO

Ponyboy gathered his thoughts and shivered. He should've brought his jacket.

His sighed before standing. He wiped his eyes and touched the tops of his parents graves, a sort of ritual he did every time he visited them.

He wiped his hands on his jeans and stretched. He felt a wave of dizziness before falling back into the dark.

OoO

Ponyboy sighed as he looked at Fate. "Are you going to do this every time we need talk?"

Fate gave him a playful smile. "Maybe." She smiled brightly before her smile dropped and her face grew serious. "I need your help."

Ponyboy felt uneasy as he watched the unusual look on Fate's face. "I need you to know," Fate began, "Whenever you are in my care, which for now will be quite some time, you cannot die. Yes, you will feel pain, however; nothing terminal will happen while you are under my watch."

Ponyboy swallowed before looking down. I wish I had a cigarette, he thought silently.

Fate shook her head. "Now's not the time for smoking, Ponyboy. This is serious." Ponyboy's eyes widened before he nodded. "Like I had said previously, I'll need your help. I need you to look into a few things. I am Fate, but there are some things that pass me."

Ponyboy shivered. "Like what?"

"For now? I have suspicions that a dark entity is among you and your friends. You do not know him or her, all I know is that you must be careful. This entity is evil. I just need you to watch your surroundings carefully. If you see anything suspicious, call me. Just say 'Fate', and I will appear in human form to see it. Can you do this, Ponyboy?"

Ponyboy nodded. "I can do it." He'd have too. He owed a lot to Fate. He still didn't truly believe all that had happened to him, but if Johnny and Dally were alive, he wouldn't argue against it.

She offered him a small smile. "Thank you, Ponyboy. Be careful." She then leaned in and kissed his forehead, causing him to fall back into the light.

OoO

Ponyboy was being shaken roughly. "Pone? Ponyboy! Are you alright?"

Ponyboy opened his eyes to see a concerned Johnny and a slightly concerned Dally behind him. Ponyboy gave them both a crooked smile.

"I sure am."

Ponyboy lept up. "Spending the night at my house?" He asked them both. Johnny gave him a weird look. "You sure you're okay Pone? I mean I can't believe he hit you." Dally just simply nodded and pulled out a cigarette before lighting it.

Ponyboy shrugged, a small smile on his face. "It's how he shows his love. Come on, guys, it's a nice night for a race."

Johnny and Dally exchanged worried looks, before Ponyboy let out a chuckle and began jogging towards his house. The two followed after him

When they entered, Darry launched to his feet, Soda, Steve, and Two-Bit following.

"Ponyboy! Pone I am so sorry, I don't know-" Darry was interrupted as Ponyboy wrapped his thin arms around Darry's broad shoulders.

"It's okay, Dar. I understand." Ponyboy pulled away, leaving a shocked Darry. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry for making you worry."

Darry shook his head. "No, kiddo! It's my job to always worry. I'm so sorry." Darry's face clouded in shame as Ponyboy smiled crookedly at him. The mood felt a little too heavy for him. POnyboy reached over and grabbed their football.

"It's 4:38 in the morning, but who wants to play football?"