Creatures of the Night

A raven caws and lands on the iron gates of Eichen House. The scene cuts to an institutional shower, where Lydia stands under a steaming stream of water. There is a bruise on her left side. A female orderly, Nurse Cross, tells her that she's had long enough and orders her to leave. Lydia does not respond. "I'm not buying the catatonic act, so don't think that I'm gonna drop by guard," the nurse says. When Lydia still doesn't answer, she goes over and grabs her face. Lydia's eyes remain staring into space.

After the shower, Nurse Cross and a male orderly, Schrader, walk Lydia back to her room. Nurse Cross tells him that the catatonia is all an act. They get Lydia into bed, and the Schrader is supposed to give her 3 mils of medicine that will truly make her catatonic. He apologizes for the woman's terrible bedside manner and goes about giving her an injection. "But I can be gentle," he says. It's intentionally violating and sexual the way he touches her arm and inserts the needle not once, but twice. When he still doesn't seem to have found a vein, he grabs the needle like a knife and turns her head to go for her neck.

Suddenly, Lydia screams, and it's a banshee wail. The lights explode, and Schrader is thrown back. Fully cognizant now, Lydia runs from the room. Orderlies block the hallway on both sides, so she takes them on. Lydia has had some combat training, and easily knocks the much bigger men down. She uses her scream as a weapon with concussive force that throws a man across the hallway.

Lydia rushes out into the rain where more security surround her. They have electrical batons, but Lydia is able to take all three of them down using her force scream. She's about to get away when someone walks up the steps toward her.

It's Aiden. "Sorry Lydia, but your treatment's not done. Not yet."

The distraction gives the guards time to recover, and they zap her with their batons. Lydia begs, "Please, I have to tell them. They're going to die. My friends. They're all going to die."

FLASHBACK

It's a full moon.

Scott is sitting on the hood of the Jeep at the Lookout, watching the sky. Stiles has a map of San Francisco open and reports that he's found some cool two bedrooms in the Mission District, but they're pretty expensive. He's also looked in Haight and Asbury, which are also expensive. Scott asks about Berkeley. "Yeah, we could try Nob Hill," Stiles offers and makes more marks on his map, "but the Jeep would probably burn through a lot of clutches."

"You're bringing the Jeep?" Scott asks. Stiles is annoyed and reiterates that that's the Plan. "No one gets left behind. That's the plan. Lydia's not going to have a problem getting into Stanford. Kira's thinking USF. Malia's, uh, gonna, she'll figure something out. Okay. The Plan is perfect." Scott smiles and suggests they wait until they get into college before trying to figure out where to live. Stiles insists that he has a beautiful vision and asks that Scott not ruin it. Stiles then goes back to his map and suggests looking in East Bay and Oakland.

Scott is too busy looking up at the full moon. Stiles asks him if he's okay and if he's starting to feel the moon's effects. Scott replies that he's just thinking about senior year. "Senior year. C'mon, that's, that's nothing. That's going to be easy." Scott replies that his concern is more about something that Deaton told him once in The Divine Move, about regression to the mean. He explains to Stiles that it means that life can't ever be all bad or all good. Eventually things have to come back to the middle.

"Think about the last few months. Things have been good, right, but not amazing." "Yeah, but no one's tried to kill us in six months either." That's Scott's point. They've been in the middle for a while. So either things are going to get really good . . . or really bad.

A storm quickly gathers overhead, and lightning arcs through the sky.

"Think it's been long enough?" Stiles asks.