Required Reading

FLASH FORWARD

Scott is on the floor of the hospital, gasping and reaching for his inhaler. The Pathologist crushes it beneath his boot and picks Scott up, holding him against the wall. The elevator dings open, and Malia emerges, shifted. She attacks, as the Pathologist tosses Scott away. Melissa rushes to get Scott and hauls him into the elevator while the fight goes on. She gives him a shot of a bronchodilator to help with his asthma symptoms.

Melissa shouts for MAlia, who breaks out of the Pathologist's grip and runs for the elevator. She barely makes it in time, and the doors close just behind her. Scott looks up at Malia from the floor. "We never should've read the book."

PRESENT

Deputies Clark and Cordova exit out of their patrol cars at the school field at night. Cordova flips on a light switch and Clark sees eight freshly dug up holes across the fields.

The following morning, Malia and Stiles are with the Sheriff in his office updating the case board. The Sheriff crosses out Tracy's photo. "Chimeras." "2 dead chimeras," Stiles says. "And 8 new ones," Malia adds. That's 10 in all, but the Sheriff thinks it's probably 11, and he adds Donovan Donati's photo to the wall. The Sheriff confirmed with his tech guys that the camera and the lock on the cell could have been malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic -- which he now knows the Doctors can manipulate because that's how they got into Eichen House.

Stiles can't look at the photo of Donovan. Malia agrees that Donovan must be a chimera too. The Sheriff wants to know if he's a failure like Lucas and Tracy. Stiles turns away and stands in the corner, upset and guilty. Malia goes to put a red cross on Donovan, but the Sheriff stops her, "Not until I've seen a body." He then turns and sees Stiles, rubbing his hands together. "You're uncharacteristically quiet." Stiles covers for his guilt quickly by bringing up the fact that all the victims are teenagers. "So shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers?" He suggests that if the Doctors are making such particular effort, like breaking someone out of the jail, it must be because they have something in common, which makes their selection non-random.

In Parrish's house, he and Lydia practice hand-to-hand combat. He instructs her to keep her hands up so she can protect her head while keeping her eyes on her enemy. They spar, and Jordan tags her. Lydia recovers and tells him she wants to keep going. he's afraid she's going to rip out her stitches, so she pulls up her shirt and shows him the dressing with no visible blood. Lydia tosses her shirt aside, and Parrish takes off his hoodies.

They try again, and this time Parrish is able to grab her and pull her in close. He asks her what she did wrong. "Forgot to keep my arms up." He tells her that it's okay because her muscles have memory and with enough practice, they will remember for her. Lydia leans back against him, and they both become conscious of being pressed against one another in an embrace.

Lydia suddenly has a flash of a Doctor's hand on her arm and then being surrounded by them during her surgery. She makes a pained sound and pulls away from him. She can see her photocopy of the Dread Doctors sticking out of her bag across the room. "What's wrong? What is it?" Parrish asks. "Muscles memory," Lydia tells him.

At school, Scott tells Theo to keep an eye out for people acting a little off. Scott has his copy of the book too. Theo reminded him that Tracy went on a killing spree after reading it. "You think it's a bad idea?" "I think Malia almost getting run down by a car could've been bad." He figures that's why they haven't finished reading it yet. Scott tells him that they're going to, but Theo counters that he came looking for a pack, not to watch one fall apart. "That book's all we've got," Scott says. Theo offers to read it too.

They're all at Scott's house with copies. Lydia complains that her mom's book club usually has more wine. "Well, they also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations," Stiles replies. They've asked Malia to watch over them while they read so there will be someone to stop them should they do something dangerous like she did when she almost got run over on traffic. Lydia says she should have her mother read it, so she'll remember her encounter with Tracy. "If it works," Stiles warns. "It has to," she replies.