Sixteen

Demi

"Nick, I'm fine. You can go out with your brother" he still looked concerned as he proceeded to stroke a strand of hair behind my ear. I fell silent, waiting for him to reply. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he declined.

"No, I-I don't want to go out if you're still not feeling too great" a small smile formed on my face as I rolled my eyes, my heart never having felt so full.

"Nick, you'll be gone for a matter of hours. I'll be fine. I have your number in case I need you. Go out and have fun."

"I don't know" his focus was on a strand of my hair that he was just twirling around his finger. "Are you sure?" I nodded up at him with a small smile.

"I haven't thrown up since yesterday. Nick, you don't need to be here if you want to go out. Can I just ask that you take Peyton?" he nodded, leaning to press his lips against the top of my head as he ran his fingers through my hair. "I don't really feel up to looking after him by myself in case I..."

"Of course I can. You sure you're gonna be okay?"

"I'm gonna be fine, Nick. I'll probably just stay up here anyway" he nodded as he pulled himself away from me. "You go and have fun with Joe. You don't need to be worrying about me. I love you."

"I love you too, Baby" the smiles on both of our faces widened as our lips gently brushed together. I don't want him to get sick but when I tried to stop him from kissing me on the lips earlier, he just rolled his eyes and kissed me anyway. Apparently, he doesn't care if he gets sick.

-

"Thank you so much, Sirah" she shook her head as I pulled her into the house, pulling her into a tight hug.

"You don't need to thank me, Dems. I'd do anything for you, that's what best friends are for" I pulled away from her, sending her a thankful smile. I released a breath, the air around us falling serious as she lifted the little white bag up and into my view. My heart pounded against my chest.

"I owe you."

"You don't owe me anything, Demi" I took the bag from her, pulling out the box that had a smiling baby on the cover. "You know that there's a chance you're not. You've been ill, you could be late because of that" I shrugged, keeping my eyes locked on the smiling baby. Tears instantly began to well in my eyes, momentarily blurring my vision.

"I-I just-Peyton's only 6 months old. I'm in no way ready for another baby" I looked back up at Sirah whose eyes were full of sympathy. "What am I gonna do if this is positive?" Sirah shook her head as she stepped towards me, lowering her hand onto my arm and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Don't go thinking about anything until you've taken the test. It could be negative and you're just stressing over nothing. Just take the test, Dem" I sighed, glancing back down at the smiling baby. "I'll be waiting in the living room, chilling on the couch with my dudes" I rolled my eyes as Sirah chuckled. "If you need me, just shout, okay? I'll come running."

"I have peed on a stick before, Sirah" I lightly giggled as she rolled her eyes, turning and beginning into the living room. I released a sigh and pulled my eyes away from the smiling baby as I began towards the toilet.

It isn't so easy taking a pregnancy test when your hands are physically shaking. I'm not ready for another baby. I've still not got used to the way my body has changed since Peyton. I can't go through that again so soon.

"Dems, you okay?" I jumped.

"Ye-Yeah" I pulled from my thoughts, glancing at the pregnancy test that lay face down on the counter.

"You've been in there for a while. I was starting to get worried" I shook my head, pushing myself up from where I was sat on the closed toilet lid. I reached out to grab a hold of the test but stopped myself and sighed, trying to calm down the pounding of my heart. I swallowed the lump from my throat before grabbing a hold of the pregnancy test and instantly turning it over. I honestly couldn't have been happier with the result.

"It's negative" I pulled open the bathroom door, a smile on my face as I held out the pregnancy test.

"Negative?" I nodded as I handed her the test. "How do you feel about that?" she questioned, staring down at the test.

"So fucking happy."

"Then why are you crying?" my eyebrows scrunched together as Sirah pointed at my face. I lifted my hand to wipe at my cheeks to find that tears were in fact rolling down my face.

"I-I don't know. Tears of joy maybe?" I sniffled, wiping the tears from my cheeks. I kept my eyes locked on Sirah who cocked her head, her eyebrows raised in question. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"How do you really feel about this test being negative?"

"I-I'm happy. I'm not ready for another baby, Sirah. What are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to say that maybe there's a tiny part of you that's a little upset and disappointed that this test was negative" I shook my head and turned away from her, beginning into the kitchen so I could grab a glass of water.

"Do you want anything to drink?"

"Don't avoid the topic, Demi" I rolled my eyes as I proceeded to grab a glass from the cupboard.

"Okay, so maybe there's a tiny part of me that's upset and disappointed but that doesn't mean I'm not happy about it. I'm not ready for another baby just yet, Sirah" I turned back to face her, tears now flowing down my cheeks. I'm now crying for something that I never had. How can I possibly be upset about something that I never had?

"I didn't mean to make you cry" I shook my head and sniffled.

"You didn't. You want to stay? We can watch a movie or something?"

"You going to tell Nick?"

"Yeah, I-I mean I can't just ignore that it happened. We could have ended up having another baby. I mean we haven't even spoke about more kids. I-I don't even know whether he wants more kids with me."

"I'm sure he does, Dems. Come on, let's go watch a movie. I'm in the mood for a horror" I lightly giggled at her enthusiasm as she skipped towards the living room.

——