Seventeen

Nick

"What kind of ring are you even looking for?" I shrugged in reply. "We've been searching for 2 hours and you still don't have a ring, Nick. You've got to have some kind of idea?" I shook my head, continuing through the mall, pushing the stroller that held a sleeping Peyton.

"I'll know it when I see it. You want to grab some lunch?"

"Yeah I can go for some food" we began out of the mall, thankful that our unsuccessful day of ring shopping hadn't been ruined by countless paparazzi or fans asking for an autograph or photo. It doesn't matter how much I love my fans but being stopped by them when out isn't something I enjoy so much. I checked on Peyton every so often as we began across the street and towards a café. We settled at a table outside, parking the stroller at the side of the table so I could still see Peyton. "So, after proposing, what do you plan on doing? How long do you want to wait before getting married?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"She's got to say yes first."

"We already know she will" I shook my head, glancing down at my menu as I tried to stop myself from smiling. "What? You think she'll say no? You really think she'll say no to you?"

"I don't know, Joe" he cocked his head, his eyebrows raised slightly, asking for me to elaborate. "We haven't been together that long. We-We've never really spoke about our future as a couple, we've talked about Peyton and...not that long ago we got into an argument because I was jealous that she was hanging around with Wilmer again" Joe groaned as he dropped back against his seat. I looked up just in time to see him roll his eyes at me.

"You really need to get over your issues with Wilmer, Nick."

"I don't have any issues with him, Joe. I just don't like that him and Demi are still so close. I mean she was in love with him, at one point she was adamant that they were gonna get married. She always said she couldn't wait for him to propose. What if she doesn't say yes because she still thinks they have a chance?" Joe only rolled his eyes at me, staring at me as if I were completely off my head.

"You know that's a load of bullshit. She loves you, Nick. She wouldn't be with you if she didn't" my eyes instantly danced over to Peyton.

"What if she's only with me because of Peyton?"

"Nick, why are you looking for a ring if you're having these doubts? You need to talk to her; you need to see where her head is at. Now, let's drop this conversation because I don't think it's the best one to be having in public" I nodded in agreement, our eyes dancing back down to our menus.

-

I could just about hear the TV as I stepped into the house with Peyton settled against my hip.

"I think mommy's up, Buddy" I quietly closed the front door behind me. I adjusted Peyton in my arms as I began into the living room, the smile on my face only widened as my eyes landed on Demi who was fast asleep curled up on the couch. I pressed a kiss to Peyton's temple as he whined, reaching out towards Demi. "Shall we wake her up? She looks so peaceful though, eh?" I knelt down on the floor beside Demi.

"Eh" Peyton pressed his hand against Demi's cheek, giggling as Demi pouted her lips. The smile on my face just widened.

"Who's this yummy hand belong too?" Demi pressed her lips to the palm of Peyton's hand and began to pepper it with kisses causing him to push back against me and squeal. Demi giggled as her eyes fluttered open to lock with mine, her eyes momentarily falling down to Peyton. "Hi, Baby Boy" Peyton lunged at Demi and my heart soared as he cuddled into her.

"I think he's missed you" Demi released a breath of contentment as she snuggled herself into Peyton.

"I missed you too, Baby" it fell silent around us for a moment, but the sight of Demi and Peyton will honestly never grow old to me. They're my family. They're my world. "Did you have a good day with Joe?" I nodded, stroking my fingers through the hair on the back of Peyton's head.

"Yeah, it was good spending time with my brother."

"When we put Peyton down for a nap, I-I need to talk to you about something" I nodded but was instantly hit with nerves. This is it. This is the moment everything's going to end. This is the moment I've been waiting for.

"Okay" Demi sent me a small smile, reaching to take a hold of my hand. "Am I-Am I gonna like this conversation or not?" Demi lightly chuckled as she linked her fingers with mine, clutching onto my hand.

"I don't know but I kind of hope you don't hate it" I leant to press a kiss to the top of her head.

"You-You're not breaking up with me, are you?"

"No, Nick. I will never break up with you. I love you, you're stuck with me" I rolled my eyes causing her to chuckle, instantly remembering the conversation we had a week ago when I basically said the same thing. "Can I have a kiss? I promise I've brushed my teeth" I rolled my eyes causing her to giggle. I leant forward and lightly brushed my lips against hers, smiling as her free hand came up to cup my cheek.

"I love you too by the way" I pulled away, a smile on my face as Demi smirked up at me.

——