prologue

emma chamberlain~

i was messy. i had a shit life. everything was shitty. unhappily married parents that should just divorce already. an older sister who has completely shut the rest of my family out and calls occasionally. family feuds and fake smiles at every holiday. shitty grades to add to the mix. no social life except working at the desolate post office in the corner of town where no one even comes to. i usually just binge shows with my coworker jen. she has a dragon tattoo on her neck and smokes the occasional cigarette. she doesn't show up all the time but no one even comes to the post office so i'm unbothered.

i have no one in life except my best friends. olivia, former kindergarten bully turned best friend has been my girl since mrs. sanchez yelled at her to stop knocking down my sandcastles. turned out she was only jealous of my method of building. i taught her how and since then she's been involved in my sandbox of life.

there's grayson who is kind of like my big brother. regardless of being the same age, he has always been overprotective of me since my sister completely despises me. he sometimes forgets about me nowadays because of his gorgeous girlfriend, daniella. she's a cool girl and i can tell they'll get married one day. grayson is constantly busy with college scout shit for hockey. i'm proud of him. what i didn't tell you is his brother ethan.

ethan is my other best friend but he's different. he's never distant. he's always there. he's the only person who actually understands my full mess. he knows all my tiny little secrets and guards them. he means a lot to me.

ethan dolan~

i love her. i'm always there for her and listen. i let her crash at my house when shit gets rough at hers. i spoil her sometimes and give her rides all the time. i guard all her deep secrets because she means the world to me. we both care deeply about each other.

but she doesn't feel the same way about me as i do about her.

i'm just a best friend.

i want to be more. i want to be hers. i want her to be mine. i've been in love with her for years and years and i doubt that one day i will ever get to where i want with her.

she refuses to be in relationships because of the fear of dragging whoever it is into her mess.

but i don't care.

i can fix that mess.

if she just let me, i could be her fixer upper.