one

emma chamberlain~

it's labor day. the significance of this holiday, for me an incoming senior is the labor day party. big party, lots of alcohol, lots of couples doing their things. it's the last big thing of summer before we all go on to become seniors. i would've stayed in bed this morning to mentally prepare for the party, but i have to go work at my favorite place in the world.

the post office.

once i arrive, i go into the back room and put my stuff down. then i head to the windows where people drop off their packages. suddenly some pointy nails tap my shoulder.

"emmaaa!! what's up my bitch?" jen asks as she plops herself down in the spinny chair by the computer.

"you're awfully happy at 11am in the morning. and loud, jen," i say slightly laughing as i sit myself up on the desk inside the teller window.

"you won't believe what i did last nightttt!" jen says as she spins around in the chair with her arms up as if she's on a roller coaster.

"based on your tone, you probably got laid," i reply knowing she's never this happy at work unless she got the strap.

"indeed i did em and it was a chick,"
she says with such a cheery smile.

"omg shut up, a chick? what's her name?" i ask with a large grin plastered across my face for my bi best friend.

"her names lindsay and she's gorgeous," jen replies with the attitude of a little kid meeting santa.

"what about marcus though? does he know?" i say in a soft tone because i know he means a lot to jen.

"shit, he's gonna hate me so much. but i love him, i'm just torn because lindsay is great but so is marcus. why do i have to be so hot and attract both genders?" jen says clearly caught up in a flurry of emotion.

"i don't know jen, maybe because you're you and you're gorgeous duh," i respond blatantly because it's nothing but the truth.

"emma, why don't you get in relationships?" jen asks bluntly while fidgeting with the rubber band ball next to the pile of paper clips.

"long story short, my life is a mess. i don't want a guy to come in here thinking he can fix me and then get hurt in the end, so i don't let myself be vulnerable. therefore no relationships," i say knowing deep down it's disappointing, but there's nothing i can do.

suddenly the front bell rings and in walks a tall, strong figured, dark eyed, pretty but messy brown haired dork named ethan.

my best friend.

ethan dolan~

i walk into the post office, package nestled under my arm and walk towards the window with emma on the other side.

"e, tell me why a 17 year old boy is coming to the post office with a package at noon on a monday?" she says in a sarcastic tone.

"i have to mail a package to my cousin living in italy for a college semester, otherwise i would've been home sleeping or something," i reply back which is mostly the truth, but i also wanted to see emma.

"well i can take care of that for ya," she says with a wink and grabs the package from my hands and starts typing away at the computer.

i get lost in her big blue eyes. i want to make a move in the right direction so i just go for it.

"by the way em, do you happen to be going to the party tonight?" i say nervously while fidgeting with the blue strings of my sweatshirt.

"yeah i think i'm going, why?" she asks looking up from the computer.

god she's beautiful.

"well i was wondering, if you would want to," i say then i halt my words. seriously thinking this is a bad idea.

"spit it out dolan," she replies in a straightforward tone. i like it when she's bossy.

"well would you want to go to the party with me tonight? i can drive you but i could pick you up first, well obviously i'd pick you up first and then we can, well i can," i say rambling when emma interrupts my tangent.

"pick me up at 7, and your package is all shipped. text me later e," she says and waves me off.

i walk out to my car with a little pep in my step. i get to go to the biggest party of the summer with the girl i've loved for a long time now. as i get in my car, i think about the fun times i could have with emma tonight.

jen miller~

after ethan leaves, i break the most obvious news to emma.

"dude, he's in love with you," i say with 110% certainty.

"no way in hell, he's just my best friend," emma scoffs but im doubtful they're just friends.

"you can say you're just friends but that's beyond bullshit, man has heart eyes for you," i say pulling a cigarette out of the box in my pocket.

"don't you have a cigarette to smoke jenna?" she replies clearly in a bratty mood.

it's only the truth. sooner or later they're gonna be up each other's asses.

"yes i do emma, have fun living a lie," i say with a cigarette in mouth leaving through the back door and patting emma on the head.

they've got the hots for each other, whether emma knows it or not.