Who Are You?

The first thing I felt was the hard ground. My left cheek was slightly numb from being in contact with the cold floor. I attempted to push myself up, but I was too weak to fully move. I looked around me, finding myself in an empty, dark room. It was quiet. My mind was flushed of any memory as to how I got here. The longer I thought, the more my head hurt.

The pain increased, making me shoot up from lying on the ground. I felt around where the pain was coming from. The tips of my fingers feeling a rough, jagged bump that ran above my left ear and down towards my neck. The stitches stuck out uncomfortably. I groaned in pain and shock.

"Where am I?" I whispered to myself in fear. I looked around at the dimmed room. Candles provided light, random vases were placed around the room, and only a bed and closet were the largest items to be seen.

Two knocks came from the other side of the door. I backed myself up against the bed, unsure of what to do.

"Gia? Are you finally awake?" A male voice asked. The door slowly opened, and a perfectly blonde head of hair peeked in.

I held my knees to my chest, my heart was pounding insanely fast. I tried my hardest not to cry, but tears fell anyway.

"Gia, you're actually awake!" The guy ran in with excitement. He joined me on the ground. I pulled away when he tried to touch me. "Hun, you don't need to be scared."

"Who the hell are you?" I asked.

"Come on, get dressed and we can catch up downstairs." He said. I could tell by his extremely bleached hair and sassy voice, he was gay. "Your clothes are in the closet and everything else is below. Try to look nice. And hurry, we've been waiting for you."

I watched as the man left the room and shut the door. My whole body was numbed of shock and fear. I forced myself to stand up and go to the closet. I opened the large victorian style closet, and I couldn't help but ask myself if I traveled back in time, but no person back then had hair like that man's. Inside was a long black dress and cape coat.

I inspected the closet's four drawers just below the closet itself. Inside one drawer was makeup, jewelry, and a mirror. In another was hair products, tools, and a brush. The third drawer had a tooth brush and toothpaste. The last one had a pair of black boots. The heel was large, five inches maybe. In the back corner of the drawer was a little black box. I inspected it before opening it. The box's material was like leather, and I just knew it was a ring box. Which I did find a ring inside. A squared halo ring. Around the main stone, the half of the band was lined with smaller stones. I eyed the size and tried my index finger. Too small. I knew it wasn't going to fit on my middle finger, so I tried my ring finger. It was a perfect fit.

Given the situation I knew nothing about, I did as told. I got dressed, put a little bit of makeup on, and curled my hair. I figured if I was about to die, I might as well look nice in my last moments. I looked at my clothing from home, which were covered in dirt.

I stood at the door anxiously, not wanting to leave my room. But who knows what would happen if I didn't go down? The man said "we've been waiting for you", meaning there were more people than just him.

I found the balls to open the door, and I was in even more shock. The place was nicely built. As my room, all lighting came from more than a dozen lit candles. I looked below, seeing I was on the second floor of the place. There were a group of people sitting on couches, filled bookcases lined the walls. Looking back up at the second level, there were other doors and hallways. I was curious, but had no means or will to explore.

"Gia?" A female voice spoke from below. Those on the ground floor stared up at me. The women were dressed in similar dresses, and the men were in suits that somewhat matched the females' attire.

I slowly made my way down the staircase. Down one of the halls on the first floor, people dressed down in gray, not taking part with the group.

Once I was at the bottom, I stood still and away from the rest. I examined each and every one of them. The blonde man, a very old woman, a blonde woman probably in her forties, there was a girl and boy who looked the same age as me, a handsome African American man, and to my surprise, Dinah Stevens.

"Why are you dressed like that?" A boy around my age asked. I stayed quiet and just looked at him funny.

How the hell should I know?

"Hm, you must be special or something." The man from earlier said. I just stood still, trying to look neutral even though I was scared shitless. "Gia, why do you look so uptight?"

"I don't know any of you let alone what happened or why I'm here. Minus Dinah. But I didn't realize we were all best friends." My words came out like vomit.

"Spicy! I like her." The blonde woman said ever so happily.

"You don't remember anything?" A girl who looked the same age as me and the boy asked. I shook my head.

The blonde man began by pointing at himself. "Gallant, Coco, Evie, Andre, Timothy, Emily and yeah, Dinah."

"At least someone knows me." Dinah chimed in.

Suddenly, a pounding noise silenced the room. Those dressed in gray stood at each side of each hallway entrance. Three intimidating women, also dressed in black, entered the room. One had a cane, I assumed the pounding sounds came from her.

"That's Mallory, my assistant by the way." Coco pointed out the girl in glasses. "This is Spicy!"

This bitch just called me spicy.

Right before Mallory could speak, someone else did.

"Spicy? Hm. Interesting name." A man entered after the intimidating women. He stood tall with long, golden locks, and ...the same cape coat?

His vibe was incredibly strong, but sickening. His presence made me uneasy. He eyed me like I was candy. And here I thought those women were scary. He slowly approached me, and once he stood right in front of me, he smirked. His grayish eyes were mesmerizing, yet cold. Empty...

"Is this Gia?" The man asked while staring straight into my eyes. It's like he was staring into my soul. My eyes were locked with his.

"Yes." The woman with the cane answered coldly.

"Please. Sit." He said softly. I quickly sat down on one of the couches beside Gallant.

"Who is that?" I whispered to Gallant. He shrugged, just as confused as I am and everyone else. The man made his way in front of the fireplace.

"My name is Langdon and I operate the Cooperative. I won't sugar coat the situation. Humanity is on the brink of failure."