P R O L G O U E

The beginning —

June 5th, 2017.

Israel hummed and nodded her head to west side boogie silent ride, it was a fun summery song With such depressing deep lyrics, something she could relate and vibe with. It's beat was nice and it had meaningful lyrics something you don't hear to often with nowadays rappers.

"I wish I was outta my head," She sang softly along while shifting uncomfortably in the drivers seat. her thighs sticking to her leather seats, the sun was beaming down into her red drop top making her shea butter cover brown skin gleam in the heat. It was a very hot California day and Israel was loving it. she was soaking up all the vitamin D and getting a darker ten, making her skin a rich chocolate.

She had just came back from her high school, they had informed her that she could come pick up her diploma. She has been homeschooled her whole life so she didn't get to graduate at the school along with the other graduates but she did take the finals which is why they were giving her a diploma. She was getting her Life started, she was finally a adult. She got a job at sixteen and her drivers license. Her parents bought her a car, graduated, and now she was ready to go to college and get her own apartment. She knew it was going to be hard being away from her parents but she was finally going to get the freedom she has wanted and dreamt about since she was fore-teen.

She pulled up Her drive way and turned off the engine once she was parked. She stepped outta her car and walked up to the unlocked front door, when she walked in and closed the door her mother came rushing to her with a big wooden spoon in her right hand, her face scrunched up in anger, looking like someone's grandma.

"Where the hell were you? You ain't ask nobody to go no where so I don't know why you think you can just leave and come as you please, just because you eight teen don't mean you can do whatever you want. you still live under our roof." Her mother blab pointing the spoon at her, with her hand on her hip. Isabel was referring her husband- Israels father when she said 'our' house' because god rebid if he ever heard her say my house.

Israel mentally rolled her eyes as she stood at the front door untiring her lace up sandals. Her parents were very strict with her and only her. Her other three brothers could always do whatever they please because they were boys and 'boys will be boys' as her father like to say. Honestly to Israel it was bullshit and sexist but she could never say that to her parents of course, unless she wanted her mama to knock her front teeth out.

"I just went to go get my diploma I'm sorry mama," Israel pouted her pump lips and gave her mother her baby eyes knowing it'll make her mama feel bad. Her mother- Isabel let a sigh of relief out as she reached out to grab the paper from her daughters Dainty hands.

"It's ok baby just be sure to tell me next time I wouldn't want your father to find out that you're leaving this house with out permission you know how he is...and congratulations baby I'm so proud of you." Her mother gushed, being very happy that her only daughter was finally becoming the women she always knew she'll be A strong independent individual.

"Thank you mama I'm proud of myself." She giggled to herself. Feeling her mother embrace her in a warm hug, she nuzzled her head In the crack of her mother neck, inhaling the scent of lavender and lemon. Making her feel the sense of comfort. Isabel pulled away and unrolled her diploma, her bright white smile beaming making them pop against her wrinkl-free dark skin.