Chapter 2 - Damien

By the time lunch comes around, I check my phone to see that I have a message from my dad.

Coach Collins told me you've got a big decision to make regarding the team. We could have discussed it last night. Remember, scouts are drawn to strong teams.

I sigh before typing.

Yeah Dad, I know. I'll try to do what's right for the team.

His reply is instant: Do what's right for you.

I'm contemplating whether or not to reply when a pair of hands cover my eyes.

"I wonder who this might be," I joke as I feel her wrists for the bracelet I bought her a while back.

"You're no fun, Damien."

I turn around, shaking with laughter, "Next time, Penny, take the bracelet off beforehand."

With a mock scowl, she leads me to the cafeteria. I pile food onto my tray, while Penelope gets a sandwich and water.

"Live life a little," I say, placing a chocolate muffin onto her tray.

She grins sweetly at me, before placing it right back on mine, "Don't tempt me."

We take our seats at the usual table. Steve and Trip are already here. So is Melanie, Penny's best friend.

Melanie immediately gets talking, "You will not believe who showed up at school today."

Penny chirps up with excitement, "Oh my god, I saw her in history."

"Who?" Trip asks, probably already wondering what pickup line to use.

Melanie doesn't waste any time in answering, "Addison Blake." Since Trip moved to Ferndale only a few years back, she takes on the responsibility of filling him in. Just like the helpful person she is. "She went to elementary school with us but in sixth grade, there was an accident and her parents died. She was put into foster care and then left Ferndale a couple of months later."

I take a bite from my chicken wrap, trying to be nonchalant.

It's working fine until Steve pipes up, "Weren't you two neighbors?"

I don't look up from my food, pretending as if the question isn't directed at me.

Penny bumps her elbow lightly on mine to get my attention.

"Hmm?"

"You were neighbors with Addison?" Penny's mouth pops open in surprise.

"Oh, yeah, I think so," I try to look as if I'm thinking hard, but end up shaking my head, "Honestly, I can't remember much. We were both pretty young."

I end the conversation at that. I don't like talking about people, especially about someone who's already been through so much. The rest of them continue exchanging information they've heard in the hallways until the bell rings.

The rest of the day passes with a blur. That is until the last class of the day: chemistry.

Half of the class is already seated by the time I arrive at the lab. I'm making my way towards Steve, my lab partner, when I see her sitting at the very last bench in the room. Addison. I shoot Steve an apologetic look, making a detour towards the back of the class.

She's already set up the equipment for class when I reach her. I stand on the side for a few moments, expecting her to look up and notice me.

She doesn't.

Unable to take the awkwardness anymore, I clear my throat, "Um, hey, is this seat taken?"

She spares me the briefest of glances before focusing back on her work. "I prefer to work alone."

"Please, I don't have many friends." I hate lying, but something tells me that might be the only reason she'll let me stay.

She squints, taking in my outfit. I can tell she's dubious about the integrity of my statement, but she finally releases a conflicted sigh, "Fine. But only today."

I beam, taking the seat beside her. By the time Miss Pepper finishes instructing us on how to do today's experiment, Addison has already finished setting up.

She's balancing a few equations in her workbook so I take it as the opportune moment to speak, "I don't know if you remember me," She doesn't look up this time. I still continue, "But we used to be neighbors–"

Her hand slips, forming a dark blue ink line across her page.

She shakes her head, "No. You must have me confused with someone else."

"No, Ads, it's me," My smile falters, "Damien."

She finally looks up from her paper, staring at me for several seconds. Finally, she says, "Look, if you're not going to do any work, you can go."

I flinch, unable to speak. I feel as if I've been slapped. I may as well have been. How does she not remember me?

I gulp, picking up my pen and answering the questions on the sheet in front of me. I finish off the calculations before Addison, so start carrying out the reaction by mixing chemicals from different flasks. Addison does the same. We finish the experiment in record time. And in silence.

When the bell rings, she doesn't even acknowledge me with a bye. She just packs her stuff and breezes out of the lab.

Steve is waiting for me outside, obviously confused, "What was that about back there?"

I mutter, "Nothing," Pushing past him to get to practice – which is horrible.

It's two entire hours of me unable to get my mind to focus enough to pass the ball. On several occasions, I make the mistake of making eye contact with Coach Collins, only to see him throwing daggers at me. Metaphorical of course. But, either way, it's a frightening sight.

Once we're back in the change rooms, Coach can't contain his outrage any longer, "Andrews, what the hell has gotten into you today?"

"Nothing, Coach," I seethe out the words, knowing entirely well that the kettle's about to go off.

"Well, then why the hell were you prancing about, playing hot potato with the ball today!"

Before I can yell back, Steve interjects, "He's just stressed, Coach. We all know about the upcoming tryouts. And we know that means we'll be seeing some of our mates go."

That appeases Collins by the smallest of degrees. He throws me a final warning look before storming back into his office.

I nod thanks at Steve but don't stick around to chat. Instead, I hop into my Jeep and drive off, rolling down the windows to let off a little steam.

I don't even fully understand why I'm so irritated. It's not that Addison doesn't remember me – it's perfectly natural for people to forget things – but rather the fact that she's changed.

She was quiet even back then, but she was never curt. Never rude. 

But even if she is different now, why is it affecting me so much?

After all, she's just a girl I once knew.

***

Is it just me or is the room getting hotter?

Oh, wait, that's just the rising tension...wonder what will happen next?

- Jane   xoxo