Chapter 9 - Damien

The rest of the week is quite uneventful, although, in chemistry, I catch Steve glancing back at Addison a few times. Addison finally has a lab partner too: Samantha from the drama club. But I suspect the only reason she buddied up with Addison is that she realized Addison is actually good at chemistry.

By the time the last bell rings on Friday, I'm ecstatic. Nothing feels better than just knowing that I don't have practice and can sleep in the next day.

I'm floating all the way to my locker. While I'm packing books into my backpack, everything suddenly goes dark. Someone's hands are covering my eyes and I laugh, knowing entirely well who it is.

I smile, blindly feeling her wrists for the bracelet.

"Don't bother, I took it off."

"Well talking ruins the guessing game too, you know."

She giggles. I spin around and kiss Penny on the forehead.

Even though an afternoon nap sounds pretty good right about now, I ask, "How about we go out for dinner tonight? It's been a while."

The corners of her eyes squint as her smile widens. But then it deflates, "As much as I would love that, I already made plans for us."

My eyebrows furrow in question, "Do go on."

"So I was talking to Steve today about whether he likes Addie, and he said," She dramatically pauses, "He does!"

"He didn't tell me that."

"You asked him?"

"Yeah, after Tuesday's practice."

"Well, he wasn't exactly forthcoming about it with me either. I had to weasel it out of him. Anyway, he said he wasn't too confident about asking her out so, I thought, why don't we all go out tonight as friends? That way, Steve can spend time with Addison without it being a date." She waits, trying to decipher my mood. When I don't oppose, she continues, "I couldn't catch you between classes so I couldn't ask you if you were okay with it. Other than Trip, everyone else is free."

"Penny," I place my hands on her shoulders, trying not to laugh, "Breathe. I'm fine with it. When and where are we going?"

"The movies, straight after school actually."

Of course. So much for a lazy night.

I sling my backpack onto my shoulder and close the locker.

"Lead the way, Penny."

As it turns out, Steve didn't drive to school today which means I'll be driving a packed car. Once Melanie slides into the back, we're just waiting on Addison.

"Does she know where the car is?" I ask, realizing someone should have hung back by her locker.

Steve replies, "Yeah, I texted her."

When did they exchange numbers?

Just then, the back door opens, revealing Addison in her dark jeans and grey long-sleeved shirt. Melanie gets ready to slide to the middle seat when Penny looks back, "Mel, you should probably sit by the window because of your motion sickness."

Melanie looks confused for a few seconds before realization draws in on her features, "Oh, you're right. Silly me."

She jumps out so Addison can climb in. Once everyone's seated and wearing their seatbelts, I start the Jeep. In the rearview mirror, I see Steve talking to Addison quietly. She smiles, nodding her head at whatever he said.

"Dames? Ready to go?"

"Huh?" I look over at Penny who is expectantly staring at me.

She jokes, "Are we just going to stay here all day?"