Chapter 7 - Damien

"Do you have them?" Addison peeks through the gap in the door.

When I show her the bandaging supplies, she looks beyond relieved. She reaches out for them through the gap but I pull them away, just out of her reach.

I sternly say, "First tell me what's going on."

As soon as I say it, I catch the flicker of an emotion in her wide eyes.

Fear.

She recovers so fast that if I hadn't been watching her intently, I wouldn't have known she was lying. "What do you mean? I need it for girl stuff."

"Stop lying to me!" I burst.

She flinches. Heck, even I do.

"I know that so-called scratch isn't from a locker. I know that you didn't go to see Nurse Sanders. And I know that you didn't steal that stuff last night because your parents needed it." I take a long deep breath, trying to calm myself down, "I just want to help."

Addison looks from me to the bandages that are still out of her reach. With a sigh, she opens the door wide enough for me to get through.

She shuts it behind her, her eyes unable to meet mine, "This stays between us."

Slowly, she takes off her overshirt, revealing her bare arms. I stare, completely shocked by the blood dripping down her right arm, staining her skin red. A bandage, almost about to fall off, covers the cut. I'm almost too afraid to know what hides beneath it when she begins to peel it off.

The bandage drops to the floor, so soaked in blood that it squelches upon impact with the tiles. But that's the last thing on my mind. I'm too stunned by the deep gash on her arm.

I step tentatively towards her, "Ads, how did this happen?"

She shakes her head, "That's not important. I need to bandage it. I think the heat in the drama class made it bleed again."

All I can do is hand over the supplies to her, and watch her proficiently use one after the other. Within a matter of a few minutes, she's cleaned all the blood off her arm and secured the bandage over the cut. I felt useless the entire time, like a kid watching an adult cook.

"You can stop looking at it, you know."

"Sorry," I say, drawing my gaze off of her arm. "So are you going to tell me how you got it?"

"Depends."

"On what?"

"If you mind me lying to you again."

I playfully roll my eyes. Addison has secrets and I'll let her keep them for now, "Just so long as you're safe."

She smiles, her eyes glistening, "Don't worry about me."

She leans against the sink and I mimic her.

"Ads, you know that's never going to happen."

We stay like that for a few moments, mulling over what just happened.

That is until, I break into a smile, "Girl stuff?"

She responds by punching me in the side with her good arm. Then I snicker.

"What is it now?" Addison asks, arching an eyebrow up.

"It's just that you made such a big deal about how I lied about being friendless," I look at her accusatorily, "You, Swiper-Miss-Queen-Of-Lies."

She stands up straight, facing me squarely, "That reminds me."

And then she walks right out.

I'm left standing there in the girls' bathroom just as the bell rings. Common sense kicks in and I quickly run out before anyone thinks I'm a creep.

My stomach grumbles just as the lunch bell rings. I have to stop myself from sprinting to the cafeteria to beat the rush of Taco Tuesday. Instead, I take my time, entirely aware of each student heading in the same direction as me.

Once I have my tacos, I head for my usual table. What I don't expect is three girls, instead of two. I place my tray next to Penny, who is already sitting beside Melanie. Across from Penny is Addison.

Melanie and Penny are having an avid conversation with Addison about how much everyone has changed since Addison left town. Personally, I think it must be an uncomfortable topic for Addison but she doesn't seem to mind so who am I to interject. After a few minutes, I realize that Addison isn't actually talking at all. It's Penny and Melanie who are steering the conversation.

As I sit down, Penny asks, "What happened to you in drama class? You never came back."

I briefly meet Addison's gaze and understand the hidden meaning beneath it.

Don't you dare tell them the truth.

I feel bad for lying, especially to Penelope, but I justify that it is necessary in this case, "I bumped into Addison. She didn't know where the Nurse's office was so I led the way."

Penny just looks at me like I'm the perfect boyfriend, "You're way too nice for your own good."

"Now, now, Penny, we don't want our boy to start thinking he's all that," Steve jokes as he places his tray on the table. Only then does he realize we have extra company. And then once he notices who the extra company is, his smirk just deepens, his gaze sliding towards me. He extends his hand out to Addison. Thankfully, it's his left one so Addison shakes it. "I'm Steve Holloway, sit one table away in chemistry."

Recognition draws on her features, "Right, you were the one who almost started the fire?"

He laughs, taking the seat beside her, "It was accidental. I mean, each gas tap looks different when turned off. Whose idea was that?"

Addison laughs. And I mean laughs. I've spent way more time with her and the most I've gotten out of her is a smile. Steve says two sentences and she laughs? I wonder why I'm even doing the comparison, and then immediately let that train of thought fall off a cliffside.

I zone back just in time to hear Addison say, "It's nice to meet you Steve, I'm Addison."

"Addison..." He looks thoughtful for a moment, "Got a nickname?"

Yeah. It's Ads.

She doesn't miss a beat in replying, "Not yet."

"Well then, welcome to the group Addie."

I can't decide if I'm happier by the fact that he didn't call her Ads.

Or more upset that she doesn't remember the nickname I gave her when we were kids.

***

Any thoughts on Steve and Addie? Or should I say Ads? ;)

- Jane   xoxo