Ariana Grande - Lost

Ariana x reader. 

CW: PTSD, anxiety, hospitals

CW: PTSD, anxiety, hospitals. (this is a pretty sad one - in honour of recent mental health awareness day xx)

Soft grey cloud brushed the sharp, angular surfaces of Tokyo's skyline. The steam from the paper cup of jasmine tea you grip swirls around your own features as you gaze into the misty distance.

The door beside you slides open and a psychiatric doctor exits. You turn to them with anxious expectancy. 'She is all stable now. You can stay with her for tonight; we will come back to monitor her wellbeing tomorrow' the man says before bowing quickly.

You nod in understanding, thanking the hospital staff member. You slip through the door into a white, deathly clean room.

'Hey angel' you whisper while entering.

The room is sparsely furnished - with only a bed, armchair, side table and a potted jade plant. Ariana is curled into the bed, her small, delicate frame covered by a loose white t-shirt. Her usually tied back hair falls loosely across her shoulders.

Her large, deer like eyes flicker up from her phone to you.

'Oh my god, I'm so fucking glad you're here'

You rush over to her, placing the cup down on the bedside table, before embracing her in a tight hug. You stay silent together for a minute.

'You don't know how relieved I am that you're okay' you murmur, still holding her.

'I brought you this – you don't have to drink it if you don't feel like it right now' you say, pulling away to point at the tea.

'Thanks...I'm so glad you made it so soon' she rasps. You brush a strand of hair away from her face and notice. She looks so worn out and fragile it hurts your heart.

'What happened back at the airport babe?'

'I I...just fucking fell apart. I forgot my meds on the plane and apparently my body went into shock'

You shake your head in sympathy, taking her hand and wrapping your fingers around hers.

'I can't remember much after landing...then it's like I just could barely see or breathe or anything. Next thing I was here in an oxygen mask' she sighs.

You'd been travelling on a different flight from America to meet Ariana at the hotel, but once you landed and turned your phone off Airplane mode you started to get mildly concerned when she didn't answer any texts or calls. Assuming her battery might've just been dead, you were about to get a taxi to your hotel when a headline from E News' Instagram stopped your heart.

'Ariana Grande rushed to hospital in Japan'

With no other information you went into complete panic – desperately trying to call and get hold of her agents. Eventually you got a brief and annoyed sounding text from her tour manager with the hospital address. You cabbed there through the thick city traffic as fast as you could.

---

'I don't know what the fuck your agents were thinking with this world tour' you shake your head again. 'They haven't exactly been sympathetic with everything you're going through'

'Well I don't know what other fucking choice do I have! I'm trapped in this job for like, i dont know, 10 more years' Ariana stutters, playing with her hair anxiously.

'Hey ...I'm not angry at you at all angel.' You rub her back gently, realising you probably came across as unintentionally agressive. 'I'm just so pissed off at your label for pushing you like this – they've made enough money off of you to last a lifetime, it just drives me nuts how much they expect from you. And then they don't even care when something serious happens!'

Mental health was a constant invisible demon in both your lives. You knew the fragile state Ariana was still in from her last breakdown in Pittsburgh and the still lingering trauma from Manchester. Most fans and critics saw a superficial level of happiness in her interviews – what they didn't see was the hours of counselling, hypnotherapy and medication taking up each day just to keep this smiling façade. Underneath, you'd seen the dark waters of PTSD she was fighting to stay afloat in – listening when she needed to leave a public event, staying home so she wasn't alone for any night. But the music industry was not so patient – her producers insisted on releasing hit single after hit. They were pushing her to the edge, and you were scared one day you wouldn't be able to catch her.

'Listen, if you want to do the show still tomorrow, I'll be right there for you backstage the whole time. I can even be in the front row if you need. But...I really think calling it off would be better for you right now' you suggest apprehensively.

Ariana says nothing, biting her nails before a silent tear rolls down her cheek.

'I wanted to do this tour though – I wanted to be there for everyone' her lip begins to quiver slightly as her voice cracks. 'I just want to be okay again' 

'I know angel, you're too good to your fans...but they love you and they're worried too, I'm sure they'd understand' you kiss her head softly, gently squeezing her shoulder. You feel her body shake slightly as she continues to cry.

'I'm so sick of this...like, I just...I think it's all better but then shit like this happens out of nowhere. It's like a car fucking running me over again and again and again.' 

'Hey...' you grip her tighter, rocking her gently and holding back your own tears from her sadness. It wasn't fair. Why did she deserve this? 

'You know, you can always reschedule the shows in a few months if you feel a bit better by then. Why don't you just take the week off and see how it goes. We can find a zen spa in Kyoto or something, anywhere that might make you feel a bit better...I'll stay as long as you need' You kiss her cheek softly and quietly, wiping away another tear streak.

She looks at you with watery, deep eyes before nodding slowly.

'Yeah, maybe'

You gaze out to the unfamiliar skyline until her tears eventually dry. Ariana takes the tea and sips it slowly, her short, distressed breaths finally calming down. You kiss her neck softly and you see the first hint of a smile.

'You know, I'd be so much more lost if you weren't with me.' Her delicate lips meet yours, still warm from the tea.

'I just I could do more for you, babe' you say softly.

'No, everything you say always helps, even a little.' 

Eventually her small frame relaxes onto yours, and you look down to hear her gently snoring. You realise she probably hasn't slept in over a day. 

Trying your best not to wake her you gently pry her phone from beneath her hand and draft an email to her manager.

'Ari needs rest - she's taking tomorrow off on doctor's orders. Please organise apologies/refunds etc to fans. Many thanks Y/N'

You finger hovers on the email send button for a moment, before pressing it and switching the phone to silent. You hope this week can help her heal.

----