Taylor Swift - London Girl

You jolt awake as the sound of your phone alarm ebbs through the air

You jolt awake as the sound of your phone alarm ebbs through the air. You groan, rolling across to your bedside table, outstretching your arm before fumbling to turn off the painful noise. You read the numbers on the small screen through out of focus, sleepy eyes. 5.30 am. The last thing you want is to leave the warmth of your nest of blankets, but you know you need to make a good impression on the first day of your new job, and you want more than enough time to get from New Cross to Covent Garden.

Sighing, you stumble out of bed and make your way to the bathroom.

After showering and dressing, you grab your bag, checking at least 3 times you have the address written down, before sweeping out of your apartment. 

Following a few confused bus journeys and some time queuing for a tube ticket (having just moved, you're still getting the hang of travelling round London), you finally find yourself sat on the Piccadilly Line. Normally, the soft rocking of the train and dull lights of the carriage would lull you to sleep at such an hour, but you soon feel your tiredness drain away as nervous adrenaline begins to pump though your system. This is your first proper job in London after graduating from college.

You get so caught up in your own anxious thoughts that you barely even notice the announcement of Charing Cross through metallic speakers. It's only when you see most of your carriage filing out of the doors that you realise it's time to go. You hop out of the train and head up the nearest escalator.

It's still barely daylight when you reach outside again, though the streets are already filling up with traffic and tourists. Luckily, you're pretty familiar with the area, with it being one of the best shopping areas in London. You nervously rehearse your opening greetings as you make your way to the store, speeding up your pace as you feel droplets of rain beginning to splash onto your face. All too soon you reach the white, glossy store-front. You glance at the time: 6.45. You sigh in relief as you realise you're early for once; glad you can make a good first impression. 

The store manager remembers you from the interview, and explains that you'll be working downstairs in the 'street style' section (they wouldn't have new staff serving in the designer area). It's certainly a contrast from the white, glossy, minimalist design of the first floor – more of a grungy, warehouse type look, with bare light bulbs showcasing the less formal wear. You like it though – it's more your thing, and somehow feels less intimidating.

You're given a quick run-through of how the tills work, how you should treat customers, etc, until you're left to fend for yourself. The day actually turns out to be pretty relaxed – few of the upper-class customers actually bother going downstairs.

7.30pm. Closing time's not far away. Having only grabbed some fries from McDonald's for lunch, you're pretty much running on empty. You're just beginning to dose off, when you hear someone talking to your colleague, and footsteps echoing downstairs towards your floor.

'No...it's not like a formal coat I'm looking for...just something waterproof, like a bomber jacket or something...actually, a whole new outfit might be good...'