26 | Hope

"Damn it!" San exclaimed, when the car behind them smashed into them again and again, never letting up. "We will never lose them at this rate."

"Just keep going!" Ali urged him. Waves of nausea attacked her, and she tried to press down the bile that rose up her throat; the burning sensation helped to keep away the tumultuous thoughts that filled her mind.

Right now, she couldn't focus on the fact that her sister was killed, and the murderer was sitting next to her. All she could do was concentrate on getting out of harm's way.

Once they were away from the wardens who were chasing them, then she could figure out what she was going to do with Wooyoung and the matter of Jae's death.

"I can see a clearing up ahead." Ali moved forward and pointed out what she was seeing to San. "We can do this." She encouraged her friend in the driver's seat and beamed at him. It somewhat made him more relaxed, but it still wasn't enough to make him feel better about their situation. He clicked his tongue and pressed his foot down harder to make the car speed up.

A sense of relief overcame him as the car went from driving on dirt to driving on an actual road. The sun beamed down on them, and they all stared in wonder at the sight for a moment. Maybe they could do this; they could get away, return home, and their lives would go back to normal. They could only hope.

Even if it was only a slither of hope, it was the only thing they had at the moment that was keeping them sane.

It had now been days since Seonghwa had returned to consciousness. He had spent each day looking out of the window or being pestered by his friends. They tried everything they could to get him to talk, but whatever they did would never work.

The only way was for them to find Ali. Yet, they all knew how difficult that was going to be. She had disappeared without a trace, and there had been no signs of her since then. How were they going to find her when there were no leads to go on?

Then, one day, they were all crowded around the hospital bed, attempting to get Seonghwa to look their way, when a phone rang on the bedside table. They all looked between them before Yeosang picked it up and went out into the hallway, to not disturb his hospitalised friend.

A few moments later, he ran back into the room, a distraught expression now painting his features.

"Yeosang, what's wrong? Who was that on the phone?" Hongjoong stood up and helped his friend into the now vacant seat.

"A... a car was found... it was wrecked badly..." He stumbled over his words. "They found three bodies inside... one of them was..."

He didn't have to finish his sentence for them to guess who it was. And just like that, all the hope that Seonghwa had about seeing Ali again was snuffed out just like that.