Chapter 2

"Are you scared of me?"

It was an innocent question, product of pure curiosity and maybe a hint of amusement. Big, crimson eyes locked directly on the guard a well distance away, pretending not to notice the amount of people staring through a thick glass and into the empty room.

"If I apologize, will you let me see Emi?"

The boy looked up with such hope in his eyes that nobody would think of accusing him of hurting even a butterfly. However, something in the brightness of his eyes was off, and although nobody could pinpoint what it was, they could all agree that it was unsettling to the core.

That, and his blood-stained hands secured by handcuffs that were engraved to a metal chair.

"I didn't mean to hurt them." He admitted, trying his best to sound as sincere as possible. "They were screaming and pushing me, I swear I didn't do it on purpose."

"Mama says I'm a good boy. You can even ask her." His voice became thinner, muscles tensing against the coldness of the seat as he tried to blink away the figure who had remained silent ever since Rei had taken notice of his presence.

Rei didn't have a clue what was going on, nor did he know where Emi was, and the thought made something inside him grow, some sort of desperation he didn't know how to name or control. It was steadily driving him to the brink of exploding all together.

Suddenly a tall figure burst through the door, stern gaze pinning the guard down as his presence overwhelmed the room. Even Rei had to direct his full attention towards the strong figure dressed in a blue suit.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"Inspector Shinohara, I was given instructions to keep him neutralized-"

"This is a human boy, not an animal." The tall man intercepted, indignation clear in his voice as he turned toward Rei who sat silent, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Let him go."

"But sir, he's dangerous-"

"Let him go. Now."

The guard held his breath, nervously fumbling with the keys for the handcuffs as he switched gazes from his superior and back to the blood-covered boy.

Seeing as the guard did not want to make a move towards Rei, Shinohara took the task upon himself. Yanking the keys out of the guard's grasp, he then proceeded to walk towards the skinny, confused boy who sat at the very center of the room.

"I apologize for the indecent way you have been treated." The older male sighed, working on freeing the boy from his bounds.

"Please, do not think all investigators are like that. Some of us try to live as humanely as possible."

"Humanely..." Rei pronounced, chewing up every single letter and letting it roll off his tongue as he stood up from the chair.

"That's a big word." He mumbled. "What does it mean?"

"Humanely? Well, to be humane is to be compassionate and aware about others' situations."

Shinohara stared at the boy, trying his best not to be swayed by the look of pure innocence oozing off him. It almost seemed sinful seeing someone like him inside a cell. He was definitely planning on being careful around him, however, as it had proven to be true that some of the guards had been greatly injured by the boy.

"I'd like to talk to you a bit more..." Shinohara spoke, trailing off in hopes of getting his name. The boy just stared blankly at him, not even noticing the subtle indication.