11-First Love

As the sun was setting over The Wood's Shoppe Alfred and Leon had searched through almost eleven thousand books but had failed to find the one and only they were looking for. The stacks of books resembled rock piles at a quarry. Long gone was the Dewy, Dewy Decimal System.

Alfred refused to give up but continued carefully perusing through each book. Finally he needed a break and a changed the subject, "Leon what will you do now?"

Using his silver pick He fluffed his 'fro. "You mean since I'm all alone in the world?" Leon attempted to seem indifferent but the thought pierced his heart.

"Yes..." Alfred was sincere.

"I dunno... survive I guess." He kissed the pick as he thought of his brave grandmother and stuck it back in his hair.

"You seem so unaffected by it all... so..." Alfred searched for the right words.

"Cold even?" Leon asked in a bitter tone.

"Quite frankly yes," Alfred stated.

Leon stood up brushing dust off his pants. "Look mister, I saw my father gunned down right in front of me for his beliefs. They carted my mother off to prison when she refused to name, names. I haven't seen her since I was seven years old. Afterwards, my grandmother hid me in a hiding place she built. It was under the basement floor and I lived there for nine months. She said it was to protect me from the New Regime. Grandma said if they found me, they would torture me in front of my mother to get what they wanted--and then kill us both anyway. So what may come across as a cold and unfeeling from time to time is merely an unfortunate by product of repeated and endless tragedies. I have become accustomed to them. Tragedy fits me like a warm wet, fuzzy blanket in August. Being locked under the basement floor was the easy part."

As Alfred peered through the final book both he and Leon had a revelation at the exact same moment and shrieked, "The hiding place!"

Leon raced down the basement stairs with Alfred trailing behind him. Leon first had to find the toolbox and then he and Alfred unbolted the water heater by removing some rusty bolts. Together they slid the corroded water heater to the side revealing a trap door underneath.

Alfred's heart warmed at the lengths his Marina went to protect her grandson. What a woman! Leon and Alfred jumped down into a pit resembling an early bomb shelter circa World War II. There was a cot, canned goods, water and books!

Looking at the pile of books Alfred asked, "I thought you said you didn't read."

"I lied," Leon said, finding the recipe book. "Here it is!" He held it up for Alfred to see. There was a paper cover over the book, which read, "Family Recipe".

Opening the cover Leon read the note on the inside sleeve, 'Dear Leon I am assuming it is you who has uncovered the precious book (if an unbeliever is holding it you shall surely die!)' Turning to Alfred Leon snickered, "Grandma's sense of humor..."

Impatient Alfred said, "Go on Leon continue please."

"Okay, okay..." Leon continued to read, 'Always remember it kept us safe and fed for these many years. Share it with someone or mankind will perish. Until we meet again in the next world, Nana.'

He closed the cover. "Nana was never the sentimental type." Handing the book to Alfred Leon added, "Hey she asked me to share the book and you said it was a matter of life or death... So here take it."

Hugging the book to his chest Alfred said, "Oh thank you son. This means more to me than I can say. Will you be alright?"

Matter-of-factly Leon sat on his dusty old cot and replied, "I'll manage." He picked up a can of peaches and began to look for a can opener in the boxes.

Both men looked up when they heard the sound of a door slamming and footsteps above them. "Do you hear that Leon?"

Leon nodded.

"Were you expecting anyone son?"

Leon shook his head.

Both men listened more intently and began to sniff deeper. Leon asked with flared nostrils, "You smell that Alphie?"

"Yup, it's most certainly gasoline..." Alfred crossed to the pit's opening and coughed.

"We'd better get outta here Alphie! The military's back! I'm guessing even Treasure Island is off limits now" Leon stuck a copy of The Chronicles of Narnia under his shirt and headed for the opening.

"It's Alfred and I'm right behind you!" Alfred placed The Book into his satchel and followed Leon. Quickly and quietly they closed the trap door and moved the water heater back to its original position.

"Follow me Alfred. There's a secret passageway. It leads to the alley behind the store."

"Clever woman your grandmother," Alfred gushed.

"Yeah Mr. Alfred... I'll take clever over sentimental any day!" They made their escape as fire blazed through "The Wood's Shoppe."

-End of chapter 11-

Author's note: Do you remember your childhood sweetheart?
I hope you're enjoying the story so far! Please vote, comment, follow and add The Wasting  to your library. If you've got a book you'd like me to check out—COMMENT here! I'd be delighted.
Voting and commenting really helps our stories to grow as well as blessed our socks off!