Chapter 2

8 Years Later

"Miss Miller, here are the papers from your interns about their new designs for the Fall Collection."

I swear if these ideas are trash again, I will literally set their asses on fire. I take the folder from my assistant, Willow, and head to my office.

I plop down on my chair and look through the folder. What the hell am I supposed to do with this? The ideas are all literally the same. I throw the whole folder away. Now I'm going to have to schedule another meeting to give them one of my signature talks.

As you can see, this is my new life, being a CEO of my own multi million dollar makeup company, Eshè. Just me trying to change the ideas of "regular beauty standards", but I can't do shit with these lousy interns I have.

"Willow, can you schedule an intern meeting tomorrow morning? I desperately need to have a serious talk with them."

"I'm sorry Ms. Miller, you're mother will be coming and she would like to speak with you."

"It shouldn't take all day should it?"

"Well at 7:45 you have an interview with CBS but you have to be there at 6. You also have an interview with Oprah which is at 3. Your mother may have to come on the plane with us."

I sigh and shake my head. It's not that I don't like my mom, it's just whenever she comes, she always critiques my company. I built this company from the ground up myself. I don't mind if they're small critiques but she says something about EVERYTHING.

"Okay, just don't worry about it. Let's set the meeting up when I come back. And can you get me a cup a coffee?"

"Yes Ms. Miller." She walks out and leaves me looking out the window at the view. I see this view every day but it never gets old. The view of Charlotte, North Carolina always keeps me sane.

They say when you move, you get a fresh start, and that's what I did 8 years ago. Ever since I moved, life has gotten better according to myself. But to others, like my mother and friends, if I don't have a husband, I can't be "completed with life."

Whatever happened to being an independent, successful black woman who doesn't need a man to defy the odds? I had that same mentality my mom and friends have before I moved out to North Carolina, but it had to change to get to where I am today.

A knock at the door removes me from my thoughts and I tell them to come in. Jay, one of my worst interns, comes in.

"Yes? What is it?"

"Ms. Miller, did you like our ideas, well specifically my idea?"

I look him in his small hazel orbs and smile slightly. He doesn't know what is coming at him if he doesn't get out of my face with this bullshit.

"Your idea was interesting. It was interesting because it was the worst damn idea out of all the interns. What the fuck were you thinking?"

His smile from his face quickly leaves. Why does he think he can stroll in here and ask about the project? He knows there is always a meeting after they submit their projects to me.

"What can we do to make it better Ms. Miller?"

I cock my head at him giving him one of my looks. Why is he even still in here? He finally gets the memo and starts to head out the door.
I thought I was going to have a second to myself but Lei, my designer, comes in with outfits for tonight.

"Good afternoon Ms. Miller. I have some designs for you."

"Thank you, come on in Lei."

Tonight is the 75th Annual Makeup Awards and I'm so proud that Eshè has several nominations. If we win 1, the company will be happy, but the one I want the most is the, "Most Diverse Makeup Company of the Year."

It's going to be a tough competition I know, but I've worked so hard to get this award. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner and James Charles are nominated also but their brand isn't "diverse" if you know what I mean.

"So here are the options Ms. Miller."

Lei had showed me her designs and I tried them on for her specifically looking at how they fit my body.

"So, which one would you like to choose?"

I look in the mirror as I have on the last outfit. I don't know what it was but I felt a sense of joy as I looked at myself.

"I really love all of them but I think this is the one

"I really love all of them but I think this is the one."

"Alright Ms. Miller, I will have it ready for you this evening."

"Thank you so much." After I removed the jumpsuit and put my clothes back on, I go back to looking at the view. The only thing that was on my mind was the award show. Let's just hope that all goes well.