𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍 i have to go live with some strangers?"

"not strangers, dear-" the nurse comforted.

sandy interrupted the nurse, flinging the covers off of her aching body. "i turn eighteen in seven months, you know," she spat. "i don't need a fucking foster family!" she grabbed the iv's and yanked them from her arms.

"please, don't-" before the nurse could get anymore out, sandy already left. she was bounding down the hall, holding her casted wrist. the hospital gown became undone, revealing her entire unclothed backside to the empty halls in the middle of the night.

she could hear the footsteps running behind her, so she turned a sharp corner and closed herself in a dark, empty closet. it didn't take long for her to become undone. she curled up in the corner, balling her fists into her face and crying her eyes out. she couldn't believe where she was today versus the week prior, shopping for homecoming with her friends. the two were such different people.

life became difficult, almost unbearable in the blink of an eye.

no more vacations. no more mall trips with her mother. no more listening to music with her father. no more violin lessons. no more snacks paid for by her parents. everything had to be different, now. and she didn't like it. she didn't like any bit of it. her once uncomplicated life was now over.

sandy suddenly remembered her cat. she took a deep breath, wondering where her cat, roger, could possibly be. she shakily lifted a hand to her face, wiping away the much needed tears. if she wanted her cat to live, she would have to power through the bullshit and comply with the hospital workers and nurses. for roger, sandy stepped out of the closet after securing her gown.

she stumbled back to her room, sniffling and wiping the tears away. she assumed everyone was away looking for her, so she gathered her things together in a hospital bag. she combed through her mangled brown hair, watching the television as she did so.

"you can't run off like that, sandy," a deep voice said. she turned, pulling her hair out of her face. it was an old man with glasses and grey hair. he looked stern, angry and serious. "my name is mr. barkins. i've been told your parents passed away. is that true?" she nodded, unsure of who this man was. "i'm terribly sorry." he said, no emotion involved in his rough voice. "i'm here to help you. i'm a therapist. you will attend my sessions each morning at eight, no later."

sandy felt compelled. she was confused why this stranger would try and force her to do something she didn't want to, or even be asked about. "no."

mr. barkins smiled. he walked into the hospital room, looking at sandy who was sat on the bed next to her bag. "unfortunately for you, you don't get to make these kinds of decisions."

"unfortunately for you, mr. wheat-thins," she started, eliciting a scoff from him. "i don't care. i won't see you."

"then, we have an issue." he swallowed. sitting opposite from her on the chair next to the bed, he sighed. "i understand what it's like losing a parent. hell, i've lost both of them, too. i want to help you, not do you harm!"

"i don't want to see you. i'll see someone else," she persisted. she didn't like this man, not one bit. "anyone else."

he knew she wouldn't give up until she got her way. "huh. i suppose we'll give you to the second best, dr. harrison. he'll do you just fine. for now, however, you must meet your potential new family."

"my new family?"

"sandy," he stood up, opening the door to the room to reveal three figures standing behind the door. "meet the wilsons. stuart, jill and their son, mikey. family, meet sandy."

the wilsons were tall, lanky people. stuart, the father, looked goofy and fun. he dressed for the occasion, wearing a full suit. jill, the mother, had on a nice white dress. she was pretty, maybe in her late forties. the family looked rather... normal for a foster family. mikey, the son, wore a pair of unfitting blue jeans and a sweatshirt. he looked normal, too. sandy was only wearing a hospital gown. how bland.

she got up from the bed, smiling shortly at them. they would do until she was eighteen. only seven months. "wonderful to meet you, sandy," stu said.

"we're so sorry to hear about your parents," jill smiled. mikey stayed silent.

"sandy, you'll be staying with the wilsons for a while. try them out. if you like each other, you'll stay." mr. barkins muttered behind her.

sandy didn't mind her new family. she didn't mind them at all.