t w e n t y

"If you didn't want to be a burden you should have gotten it treated right!"

•••

THE RIDE IN Bertha was squishy, to say the least. They had not expected having to cram everyone in a car, but here they were.

Newt sat in the front seat, beside Jorge. In the bench behind them Minho, Thomas, Frypan and Teresa were all crammed together.

Then, in the covered bed of the truck Leanne, Juno, Aris and Brenda were all squished.

Having the truck was definitely helpful. They drove double what they had walked in a day, thanks to Jorge constantly speeding. It's not like it mattered, no one was going to pull them over.

The ride was silent as they drove up the mountain roads. They were shielded from the blinding sun, but had to watch out for where rocks had fallen onto the road.

They maintained their speed until they came across a roadblock; multiple cars were all stopped in front of a tunnel. Quickly, the group exits the truck, all coming to stand together to examine the roadblock.

"Well, I guess we're on foot." Jorge sighs.

Together, they begin to walk towards the vehicles. They take turns peering into cars and going through the trunks.

Leanne walks ahead with Teresa, getting a look at the vehicles up further. Some of them had bullet holes in them.

"There's someone here." Teresa speaks quietly.

"How do you know?" Leanne frowns, watching the girl as she scans the top of the surrounding cliffs.

"Because I would do the same thing. It's a trap. Block the way so you have to get out of your car." Before she can say anything else, the sound bullets flying through the air startle them.

"Get down!" Jorge yells.

Adrenaline rushes through Leanne as Teresa grabs her and they take cover behind a car.

"Hey, is everyone okay out there?" Thomas calls out.

"We're fine." Teresa answers for them.

As the adrenaline rushing through Leanne's veins slows, she gasps softly. Teresa looks to the girl, seeing the blood coming out of her arm. "Goddamn, it's always me." She shakes her head and Teresa opens her mouth to tell the others. "Always fucking me." Leanne tells her. "Stay quiet." She says to the brunette.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt yells.

"That son of a bitch, Marcus. He led us into an ambush." They hear Jorge say. A few seconds later, more gunshots are fired, however they're not close to Teresa and Leanne's car.