Chapter One

As Thomas ran through the pristine halls of the University of Leicester, close to being late for the final exam of his Physics with Space Science course, he dropped the many papers and the starting thesis of his ending graduate papers.

He wasn't sure if he would graduate college at all, but he decided to get started on his life of adulthood. Three years in college was tiring, he hoped that he would pass.

Thomas dropped his calculator, skipping over it and almost close to his class, "Oh, bloody hell. Another thing to go wrong!" He decided to leave it.

Passing through the other classrooms and bleached windows, he counted the numbers to know if he had arrived at room 101, the one where his class was being held.

The first thing to go wrong was making his Stardust count appointment. Since the call of Stardust counts in every individual on Earth back in 2015, the year Thomas was born, he had to deal with checking his Stardust percentage since he was five years old. Scientists demanded that everyone who met at least one of the three age requirements got check for scientific purposes, although they never stated why. They never gave the patients their counts either.

They just explained that it if people did it, they could guarantee just 0.0050% of the whole population would have a very special prize. Even for a big population, it seemed like a small number.

Although Thomas had no clue what the prize was, he wanted it. It would have been a nice treat for staying in college for so long.

His last check was five years ago when he was fifteen, but his first one was ten years before that when he was five, nearly a grade-schooler.

His next check would be the very next day after the exam, as his twenty-fifth birthday was tomorrow.

Trying all night to book an appointment was very tiring, considering the fact he had to study for his final year course exam the very same time. He felt like falling, but his degree of Physics with Space Science kept him up and determined.

At least determined.

"Thomas Clarke Thomson," the professor called with a deep and rich English accent as Thomas ran through the study hall door. He was flustered, tired and winded. He breathed heavily but looked at his professor.

"Yes, Ma'am?"

His professors name was Professor Gildon.

"This is the sixth time you've been late for class. What is your excuse this time?" Some of the students in the room laughed.

As Thomas scoured the crowd with his nervous eyes, he took a deep breath and explained, "Excuse my tardiness, Ma'am, but I was appointing my Stardust appointment for tomorrow; and now, the scientist and doctors kept pushing my appointment back to the fifth of May. But, as we all know, my birthday is tomorrow. April first. April fool's Day. Ma'am."

He winced at his long and definitely not thought out reply.

The bright and piercing ceiling lights in the very monochromatic room made Thomas feel like a prisoner, every inmate laughing and making fun of him.

Every time he was late, he seemed to be the center of attention.

But who wouldn't be?

The crowd laughed at his last statement, and he chuckled wearily, not apprehending what was so funny. He hated the fact that his birthday was on April Fool's Day as his older brother Oliver always pranked him.

Hence, "April Fool's Day".

Professor Gildon cleared her throat, "Well, I guess that is a reasonable excuse, the Stardust checks are very important. We learnt about them this course. Now, tell me, are you ready for your final course exam?"

Thomas nodded, "Yes, Ma'am." His voice cracked with nervousness. His palms felt sweaty, the bundle of papers almost falling out his hands.

"Good. Now go and take your seat. The test will start as soon as you settle."

He sighed, his sweatiness and nervousness calming down.

Thomas nodded and ran towards his seat, only half way before running up towards the professors desk, trudging the papers and folders. He set the papers down. Taking the very top for his thesis, he smiled at her, she looked at him confusingly and he scurried along towards his seat, the very left one of the first row.

The silence was unbearable and extremely awkward, but the extra credit was very important to him; if he didn't pass, the extra credit would boost his grade, ensuring him the degree.

Walking hastily towards his pot while carrying the thesis, he held his face down. He sat down in his seat. Placing his computer on the pile of clutter, he fumbled to grab his pen for the test, one without an eraser.

His mother gave the pen to him and it meant a lot.

People near him laughed but he grunted in tiredness and sat down next to his friend Pippi.

"Don't worry, mate. Last night, I went to pub with some of the classmates. You wouldn't have wanted to see me this morning, I was fuckin' trolled!"

They met earlier in the college years, but they haven't had much time to talk since Thomas had his heart set on getting his degree. He never understood her excessive lingo as he never really used them; his parents raised him to talk like a "normal" citizen.

He wasn't a drinker either or wasn't planning on being one anytime soon.

"I hope you guys have your calculators; the test includes computations of all of the equations you learned this course." The professor looked at Thomas wryly as she knew he didn't have his.

He was in trouble now; he always did all his math with a calculator.

Thomas felt his hope going down again.

"Including the theories of space, Stardust, space travel, scientific theories and equations ..."

The professor carried on, talking about the other subjects they learned this course, taking her nearly two minutes just to list them out.

With all the abundant subjects and courses, Thomas already felt nervous. Pippi was already falling asleep, drooling all over her test paper.

"Your tests are in front of you. You will have 3 hours to complete the 300-question test or it is marked a zero, failing. Start."

As everyone, including Thomas, opened the exam packets, he took a deep breath and thought at what positions his final possible degree would hold for him.