- the final clown

The frightening man behind the door is slumped over in the chair like a robot needing to charge. When I enter, he doesn't make an effort to move. His body lays limp as he stares blankly at the floor. It's saddening to see how frail and lifeless his body looks.

Being fed popcorn and scraps for however long has clearly taken a tole on his body. His skin almost hangs a little loose off of his bones and bruises tattoo him wherever he is bare.

I take a seat in the chair across from him. The room seems so cold and empty with just him and I in here. I know this room from having worked in it for years, but the darkness surrounding us makes me question if this really is the room I've come to know. The only light is a the dim one above us. It flickers slightly every few minutes.

As I sit, I notice that his face is still painted. The paint is smudged quite a bit and the red paint around his lips is faded along with the blue on his eyes. Lines from tears are apparent and his one cheek is swollen, probably from being hit or possibly from when they were dumped in the field. I also notice that his hair is greasy and undone. I'm shocked no one has offered him a shower.

After a few seconds of us both sitting in silence, he moves, his head shaking quite a bit as he looks up at me; his weak neck failing to support the weight of his head. His bloodshot eyes show almost no white and look terrified.

"Hello, I'm Juliet. What's your name?" I ask softly, trying to be welcoming and hoping he's willing to speak.

"Puddles," he answers quietly. He winces slightly as he speaks almost as if he expects me to scold or hit him.

"What's your real name?"

"Not supposed t' say." He mumbles, letting his head drop to look down at the ground once again.

"It's safe here." I set my clipboard down on my lap. "You can tell me anything and no one is going to hurt you. We're not gonna let anyone hurt you again."

He looks up at me once more, but then looks down again in a kind of sorrow I haven't seen from anyone in a long long time.

"Okay, Puddles it is then." I try to offer him a soft smile but he doesn't see it. "How have you been since being in the hospital? Are you okay?"

Once again, he doesn't offer an answer but instead gives me a sorrow-filled look. His eyes looking like they could melt right out of his head. His tears could be made up of blood instead of salt and it wouldn't surprise me.

"Here," I stand up and walk over to the counter in the corner, grabbing a Kleenex and bringing it back to him. "You can take your makeup off if you'd like."

He doesn't look up at me, he just continues to hang his head and stare at the floor in terror. By the way he stares, I could have sworn the devil was grinning at him from below.

"I'm the last one..." he murmurs.

His first words are shaky.

"Yes, you-um... you are." I take a seat across from him again.

"Now, when he calls to send in the clowns, there'll only be one clown to send."

"He can't get to you anymore." I assure him.

Just as I say that, he looks up at me with wide eyes. Disbelief crosses his face but his eyes bulge uncomfortably. "He's just outside. Can't you hear him? Can't you hear it? The music, the people?"

His bloodshot eyes continue to stare up at mine as if I'm insane not to hear it.

"What do you mean, Puddles?" I lean in, gripping my clipboard tighter. "There isn't anything to hear."

"I hear the circus and it's time to send in the clowns..."