Chapter 4 : Fight Back (Part 1)

Ceris POV

"Phoenix! How are Vordus and Zeganirn doing?" I asked the End Doctor.

"They're doing well, better than I anticipated. Especially Zeganirn, for the ancient Ender, he's recovering marvellously fast." Phoenix beamed. She was one of my oldest friends. I've known her since my childhood, she was always there for me.

She took up studying medicine, so when I became the leader of the Ender Watchers, I made her the End's official doctor. Once she'd qualified, of course.

"Ah thank goodness. I was starting to get worried about them. The Nether will pay for what they've done." I growl, cherishing the thought of slaughtering hundreds upon thousands of pigmen, wither skeletons, and of course, General Naeus himself. "I've never understood the Nether, why they like to fight so much, I mean, I like to fight, but only when I have to." I continue. Phoenix just smiles weakly at me.
"We both know that's not true Ceris, remember when you, Void and Naeus were friends?" She raised her eyebrows. I didn't want to remember. It was too much for me...

-------FLASHBACK-------

(Ceris is 16)

The Nether Horde have attacked us again. Dad's out fighting, and Mum's decided to stay here to keep me safe. We've basically got half the army here protecting us, even though I'm more than capable of putting up a fight to keep safe.
Dad is the lead Ender Watcher. He has this amazing long sword that does so much damage to anything coming into contact with the blade. I'm the only person who can inherit the whole realm after Dad, Mum's too old, even though she's not really that old. She's only 38, I don't understand why she's too old to inherit the land.

Before Dad went out into the chaos, he told me, "Ceris, you mustn't come out into the battle, I can't lose you, neither can the army. I want you to stay inside with your mother at all costs, ok?"

"Ok, be careful Dad." I'd replied, praying he'd come back from out there, even though I was sure he would. He was trained by Zeganirn, the End Dancer, himself!
Zeganirn is the oldest Ender in the realm, and rumour has it he's 5000 years old.

I've met a few members of the Horde before, and neither Dad nor Mum knows about it. Only my 14-year-old younger sister, Karma, knows. Even she's an Ender Watcher, but she's based in the Overworld. That's where she works most of the time, but she occasionally comes to the End to see us.
The heir to the throne of the Nether is called Void. He's one of the only members of the Nether Horde I've met in person. Technically, that should be a name given to an Ender, or an Ender Watcher, seeing as we're the ones with the void... I suppose he's nice, from what I know anyway.
My best friend Phoenix doesn't even know I've met him. I think he's here today in the attack.
Suddenly I heard a shriek. "Dad?! Was that-" I started. Then stopped. On the end of a glowing red spear, was my dad's half dead body, and that spear belonged to Void.

"Sh*t! DAD!" I swore, clapping a hand to my masked mouth. I turned around to scream for Mum but she was already there.
She looked me dead in the eye and told me, "Ceris you have to go out there. If he dies, and the Nether get their hands on the Pearl, we'll be too weak to fight back. You need to go out there and either help him if he's still alive, or absorb his Pearl if he's dead." I could see the hurt in the eyes, and in the tone of her voice, but I couldn't go. I wouldn't make it half way to Dad before being killed for sure. Then what would happen?

"I can't! I won't last a second out there!" I protested, but strangely, she wouldn't take 'no' for an answer.
"Ceris, look I'll send some Enders with you. They'll protect you. Take your katanas, and I'll call Karma to come back with backup, ok?" She told me.

For some reason, I gave a tiny nod, stifling a sob. I grabbed my katanas, while Mum babbled some foreign language to a few nearby Enders. All that went through my head was "Will I get to Dad or will I die?"

To Be Continued...