Chapter 11 : Abandonment

Azura PoV
Those stupid wither angels! I took my dual guns, and even though they were still prototypes, they worked a treat. I took out three or four angels, by myself, leaving the other few to the bandits. I turned around to see the last of the army leave the Nether, and decided to do one more sweep for any last angels. I activated my wings and jumped off the Netherack ledge, making sure my guns were ready. Of course, I had to go in another direction to the boys, since they could potentially shoot me out of the sky. I soared over the endless lava pools, keeping an eye out for any more angels I'd missed. I heard rapid gunfire from somewhere behind me, and I whipped my head around for a split second to see the boys firing at several incoming wither angels. Deciding they could handle themselves, I swerved in midair and flew over the fortress' courtyard, staying as alert as I could. I spotted a couple down below me and fired my guns at them, taking them out easily with my precise headshots. I slowed myself down slightly top get a better look at the fortress below, scanning for wither angels or any other monsters that could potentially kill me and the bandits. Fortunately I found none, and circled back around, coughing a little from the thick and stiff air. I landed hard next to Daryll and Theo, and deactivated my wing suit, the blue glow dimming to less than a feeble flicker.
"Is that it?" Theo asked, still firmly gripping his guns.
"For the time being, I think so. We should get out of here." I nodded and put my dual pistols away and headed over to the portal, Daryll and Theo following soon after. We left the Nether and soon found ourselves back in the Overworld, in the Frostbourne region. We all knew which way we had to go to get home, and together, we trudged through the packed layers of pure white snow back down alongside the Frostbourne River. The river looked usually calm, and I stared into it's normally raging rapids as we continued our journey.
I wonder if Patrick and the armies have made it back yet? I thought. I continued to be completely lost in my thought for what seemed like an eternity, and I didn't realize Daryll was trying to get my attention.
"Azuraaa...?" I heard someone say quietly next to me. "Earth to Azura, is anyone in there?" Daryll said in a playful and teasing tone. I suddenly snapped out of the trance I was in and properly paid attention to him.
"Hm, yes?" I replied obliviously. The two bandits looked at each other and burst out laughing.
"Daryll's been trying to get your attention for the last five minutes, Azura!" Theo wheezed. I just rolled my eyes in annoyance at the pair.
"What is it, Daryll?" I asked impatiently, while somehow maintaining my good mood.
"I was saying, that was some good fight you put up in the Nether. Let me guess... daydreaming about Sire are you?" he coughed, doubled over with his fits of laughter.
I rolled my eyes again and tutted under my breath.
"She's not denying it!" Theo exclaimed, fanning himself with his hands, trying to calm down from the laugh attack. They bandits hung back for a second, trying to catch their breath, but I didn't wait.
"I deny it! I one hundred percent deny this!" I stated, now several steps away from them.
"Yep, she definitely was daydreaming about him," Theo coughed.
I threw up my hands in mock defeat, and activated my wings, taking a small run up, then taking off into the cloudy skies towards the Frostbourne camp, leaving the two hysterical figures far behind in the snow.
I flew for a few minutes, then spotted the camp far below me, and shifted from a gliding position to straight out diving downward, almost in a controlled corkscrew fashion. I landed softly on the muddy grey snow, and deactivated my wingsuit again. A few passing members of the faction turned around in surprise, but quickly continued on with their day. Most people here knew about the wing-suit, hence it wouldn't be much of a surprise if I decided to appear from out of the skies in front of them. As for those who didn't know, they didn't ever stare for long, for everyone knew the whacky experiments and technology I whipped up usually in a matter of months.
I glanced around camp, and spotted Patrick talking to the Ender Watchers and a few army recruits on the other side from me. I began walking over to them, trying to decide what to say when he asked where Daryll and Theo were, but that thought was short lived - I would cross that bridge when I came to it.
I approached them, and Zeg turned and nodded towards me, alerting the others to my arrival. Patrick turned and smiled at me, as did Ceris.
"Where's Daryll and Theo?" he asked, noticing I was by myself, as expected.
"They, uh...." I started, wondering how to put it. "...were being annoying, to say the least, so I might have left them by the river..." I said sheepishly, hoping he wouldn't shout at me. I looked at him, and noticed his eyebrows were raised so high in surprise, I wondered if they could go any higher.
Ceris, Karma and the others also seemed surprised, and there was a moment of silence between the group.
Then out of no where, Patrick turned away, head in his hands.
"Patrick?" Ceris asked in concern, peering at him through his hands.
He turned back towards me and turned out to be shaking from laughter, burying his face into his battle-scarred hands.
Relieved, I let out some laughter too.
"You didn't did you?" he choked out. "Oh my god, you've made my day, Azura."
"Well, I didn't intend to leave them, I just... couldn't stand them, y'know?" I shrugged, still chuckling at the whole situation. Eventually, he calmed down and composed himself a little.
"Well, I guess we'll see them in a few minutes. You can all go and rest up, I'll be hanging around here if you need me." I nodded and waved to Patrick and the Ender Watchers, then left for my study.
I opened the door and breathed in the familiar woody scent from the ancient bookshelves. I ran up to my room, positioned above the study, and quickly changed out of my wingsuit, careful not to damage it. I replaced it back in its compartment in my room, then put my usual grey lab coat back on over a set of plain T-shirt and leggings, and went back down to the study. I picked up one of my old science books from the nearest towering bookshelf and sat at my desk, flipping through it, oblivious to the surrounding world.