Chapter 35

AN: This chapter used to be 12k words but that's a little ridiculous. I cut it down to 9k. I'm also having a little trouble writing Weiss. Writing Weiss as formal like I've been doing seems... off. I've gone over this chapter twice now fixing little parts of her character that seemed OOC but it's still a jarring difference from canon. I've written the first part of the next chapter, which features Weiss, and I think it makes her less OOC than before though. Just wait on that if you don't like my characterization of her so far.

Writing Blake is somewhat easier for me. She's supposed to be awkward at the start and just going with what Abyss is doing.

I do think Weiss will do terribly in subI though. She's not fit for cloak and dagger things at all. Tolerating BS from businessmen and maneuvering a large scale company? Absolutely. However, so far as spy stuff goes I can't imagine her doing well. Blake at least is more prepared, being a more sneaky person.

We wrap up the summer stuff and move on with signal at least. Yay. Next chapter expect some difficulties with Weiss and a checkup on Ruby since I don't feel like we've paid much attention to her lately.

[||||=LEVEL 35= ||||]

"Scooorch! Can I get a refill?!" The voice carried throughout the wide tunnels used for mining dust and I sighed in exasperation.

Ever since I showed Basalt I could transfer aura he got a little bit selfish. He trained incessantly to get better with aura. Literally the entire time he was in the tunnels he was training.

He kind of reminds me of myself.

I normally wouldn't indulge a kid doing that. It was almost like spoiling him. The problem with that was that Basalt was improving. Rather quickly, I might add. With my aura at his disposal he could essentially train constantly. He never seemed to lose enthusiasm either.

So far he consumed about ten percent less aura enhancing his body with the same results. He still had problems controlling aura quickly but once he got a flow going he had no trouble keeping it that way. It didn't seem like a lot but over just one week it was quite good progress.

Somewhat more impressive was that his aura skill, or his equivalent, leveled up twice. His physical stats got a fifteen percent boost from his aura rather than a measly five.

Best of all was that his wisdom grew a staggering two times. I think that I'm either an incredible teacher or the kid never bothered to think before now. I don't much care which one it is but the results spoke for themselves. I wonder what he could do with reading material?

The results of my little whimsical training showed. Those with aura worked noticeably better in the mines. Well, noticeable if you paid attention, which the council did. I was getting subtle encouragements from a few people a day to go for council.

Obviously I'm not doing that. My time in the mines was planned for between one and two weeks. Signal starts in six days now. I need to check on everything and get ready for school.

The plan was for Bella to pay a parole based on my money so I would get in for free and stay a week or so before getting out legally.

I considered taking Basalt but a lot of problems came up with that. He was legally a ward of the SDC since he was born in the mines. Theoretically he could be adopted and whisked away but that raises the question of how the adopter would know about the ward in the first place.

I could just take him and change his name but I don't have the time to take care of a kid as troublesome as Basalt. I would also be taking him away from friends and family. It's not my place to take him.

Besides, Basalt is amusing but he's not very important to me. He's like a friend I met while on a trip. I can just move on easily enough.

Don't get me wrong, what Basalt has to go through is shitty and if I could save him from it easily I would. The kid's future is essentially taken from him. He's destined to work in the mines as mandated by the law. All the kids in the camp are. It's unfair and amoral. If life was fair they'd be emancipated.