Chapter 37

AN: Another chapter that's almost a timeskip but not quite. It's sort of like a compressed chapter. I want the second year done and this is my solution. The next two chapters should be similar in content. A whole year in about ten thousand words or so for each... I'm really trying here to get through this all and keep it interesting. I don't want to drag onwards any more but I don't want to rush and either way I have to get all the important stuff done... Ugh. writing is hard. I'm sorry if this chapter and the next two are feeling off. I'm trying here, guys. At the very least I'm releasing somewhat earlier than I could.

Oh, and you know how I said that Weiss would only be there at Signal for a short while? Well I got through second year quicker than I thought I would. This chapter actually. I really only wanted her and Abyss to be introduced. She's a very minor character in this fic. So if you skipped the Weiss segments that's fine. Just know Abyss met her and that they know each other.

Finally, the hint at something greater comes into play here. It's not full blown yet but the repercussions of Abyss' playing with powers beyond him will echo from here on out. You'll see what I mean. That little important segment will define a lot.

I have the next chapter half done already. It might be early. Signal will end by chapter 39 or 40. Tell me if you think I should slow down a little or not please. I could use a little advice even if it's just a few sentances.

[||||=LEVEL 37= ||||]

My only thought was how stunningly beautiful Blake was. The dimming light shined on her skin like ethereal moonlight. Something in me clearly said my perception of her was being manipulated but I ignored the voice. Her eyes glinted like hardened amber polished to a sheen yet retaining a perfect softness. Every curve was pronounced and-

Bella smacked Blake from the back of her head and she made a squeak of surprise. Suddenly the illusion was broken. I blinked. Suddenly it was just Blake. Sure she was good-looking but not gorgeously so. I hadn't noticed Bella either. What the hell?

*Ding!* New skill acquired! - Mental resistance

"It's hard to defend against a feeling. It takes mental maturity, which is shockingly rare in this day and age."

-Ozpin Meridian, the last wizard

"Blake don't do that to the poor kids!" Bella admonished. "Look! You even did it to Ocean. Don't screw with your friend's sexuality unless it's clearly for giggles. You even did it full blast. No subtlety whatsoever in it!"

I glanced at Ocean. She was staring wide-eyed at Blake with a hazy and unfocused look. I leaned over to her and poked her hard in the shoulder and she jerked and clarity returned. She blinked rapidly and frowned as she pinched herself and focused on Blake again without the haze. I noticed Cesium and Kerrigan with similar looks. Thank dust Weiss is sick today. I walked over to them and punched each of their shoulders hard and they had differing reactions.

Cesium flailed at me and a wild look entered his eyes. I grabbed his head and stared calmly at him. His mouth dropped and he suddenly recoiled and took the situation over in his mind.

Kerrigan stood stock still but the look dimmed in his eyes. I hit him again and it was gone. He frowned and furrowed his brow as he glanced around the room quietly.

"-and it's generally just plain rude!" Bella finished. One more angry look was directed at a sullen looking Blake.

"So what did you do exactly?" I asked, just a little bit angry I had some sort of mental manipulation on me.

"My secret technique for seducing anyone with an active aura." Bella grumbled. "Blake wasn't supposed to use it outside of practice."

"I never saw it actually work before." Blake muttered.