Chapter 1 - Love is Crazy

Falsettos Fanfic that I Might Post to Wattpad

Hello! This story takes place about 2 years after the events of "The Chess Game". Jason is 12 in this as well. Slightly modernized. Mentions of r*pe. Slight s*icidal ideation

~* Marvin's POV *~

I gently moved a pawn. The first move in the game of chess was always crucial. It could mean the difference between success and failure. Although, failure was usually mine when I played with Jason.

The boy looked up at me, a small smile on his face. He knew how I played, and could easily beat me. No problem. Jason moved his pawn.

The shrill tone of Jason's phone ringing echoed through the empty house. I sighed, leaning back in my chair. Jason had more friends than me.

"Go ahead and answer it."

Jason brought the phone to his ear, "Hey Whizzer! What's up?"

I felt my heartbeat speed up. Little bits and pieces of memories flooded my mind. It'd been so long since I'd last seen Whizzer. I kicked him out of my house and he never came back. Of course Jason had stayed close to him. Whizzer was like a father to him. He could've been, even. But my god-awful anger got in the way of any happiness we could've had. But it wasn't all my fault, right? Whizzer claimed to only care about sex and money. In hindsight, neither of us showed how we were truly feeling.

Jason's face drained of all color. What was going on? "Y-yeah. We'll-we're going right now," Jason stood up from the couch, evidently forgetting our game. He brought down the phone from his ear, and pushed his glasses up on his nose.

"What's going on, kiddo?"

"It's Whizzer. Something happened. We have to go get him," Jason explained, pocketing his phone.

"We?" I asked. Would Whizzer want me to help? After all, he did call my son, not me.

"Well, I can't drive so we're kinda his only option," Jason sassed, crossing his arms. He made his way to the front door.

Guess I don't have a choice.

~*~

Jason and I rolled up to a bar. A gay bar, I might add. And there he was. Whizzer himself. He looked awful. Blue shirt half unbuttoned, hickies covering his neck, and hair going in way too many different directions. That's it. He's drunk and just needs someone to take him home.

I slid out of the front seat as Jason hopped out of the back. "Alright Whiz, we're here to take you home." My voice was low, the stench of alcohol made me recoil. Jason left the backseat door open as I gently took Whizzer's shoulder in my hand.

Nope nope nope. This didn't mean anything. Nope. None at all. I willed my heart rate to slow down. His skin was hot, he must be sick. I lifted him to his feet, feeling how light he was. Had he been eating? Thinking back, I had been Whizzer's "provider" so to say. My heart sank.

A hiss escaped from behind his teeth. Was he hurt? Was he mugged? No. Stop it. He doesn't need my help. But he looked so pale.

"I'm so sorry, Marvin," he grumbled, keeping his eyes on the ground.

The old Marvin would answer something snarky and brush it off. But he wasn't here. Not now. But Jason beat me to responding. "Don't be sorry! But...what happened to you?"

I tried not to notice the way he limped as we walked, or the way he hid his face from me. This wasn't the Whizzer I knew. We made it into the car, and Jason climbed in the back with Whizzer. I started the drive to his apartment that I knew all too well. It might've been two years, but I doubt I could ever forget the turns.

~*~

It was five minutes into the drive before Jason asked again. "What happened?" I had a few guesses, most of them starting with drinks and ending with fighting. It would explain the bruise forming on his cheek. Even beaten up, he managed to look good.

"I-well-it's been two years. To the-to the date," Whizzer looked up in the rear-view mirror, his tired eyes silently asking me if I knew. I nodded, waiting to hear the rest of the story, ignoring the way my knuckles were white against the steering wheel. "So I came here-or there. To-to drink and forget."

Forget. Did the memories haunt him too? Of course it did. I kicked him out. Disposed of him like he was nothing instead of everything to me. "And-and some guy sat at the bar with me. We flirted-just harmless flirting. Then-then he kissed me. And-and it felt wrong. I tried to push him away- but- but- he was stronger than me."

My grip tightened on the wheel. It wasn't a fight. He was-

"Raped. He raped me," Whizzer's voice was barely audible.

"Dad!" Jason shouted, grabbing my shoulder. I snapped back to reality, the headlights of other cars flash by. I swerved, and just in time, too.

"He what?" I asked, not taking my eyes off the road again.

"Dad-"

"What, Jason?" I snapped, looking in the mirror, only to see Jason slump into his seat.

Breathe, chimed Cordelia's voice in my mind. He's been through a lot tonight.

I let oxygen fill my lungs. It was cold out tonight, and Whizzer's apartment didn't have heat. "Whizzer, I'm taking you to my place."

Explain why.

"Because you're hurt and one of my neighbors is a doctor. And I know Jason would appreciate it," I explained slowly, thinking through my words carefully.

Good! You've improved so much. Cordelia's voice cooed.

I glanced in the rear-view mirror again to see Jason's posture relaxed again. Whizzer still wasn't looking at me. Was I doing something wrong? The small smile on Jason's face told me otherwise.

~*~

My house was a mess. To be fair, it always was. But it always seemed worse when you have someone over.

"Jason, do you think you can get Charlotte? If she's not up that's fine-"

"Got it," Jason sprinted next door, probably happy to have something to help with.

I looked back in the car, where Whizzer still sat. It was weird. He was always such a lively person. Never able to sit still. And here he was, still as a corpse. I was glad I took him home. I'm not sure how far he would've made it home on his own.

I slid out of my seat and opened the back door. "Ready?" He looked up at me with tired eyes. When was the last time he'd slept? I felt another weight placed on my chest, making it hard to breathe. I cut him off. I did this.

A/N:

Please remember to vote for this chapter if you like it. I will write more if I feel like there are people that like it. :)