Chapter 2 - Two Years are Waning

A sharp knock rang through the house. Whizzer was sitting on the couch, dozing in and out. Jason was sitting with him, and I was looking through the freezer for something Whizzer could put on his cheek. A dark bruise was forming.

"I got it!" Jason jumped up from the couch, desperate to break the silence. "Hi Dr C."

I approached the door, a bag of frozen peas in my hand. Charlotte stood there, a forced smile plastered on her face. She wore a t-shirt and pajama pants. Understandable, especially for 2 in the morning.

"Hey, Char. Listen- He got hurt. And I don't want you to think we're using you just for your doctor abilities-" I started.

"Shut up, Marvin," Charlotte snipped, pushing me out of the way.

"Yeah, shut up Marvin," Cordelia appeared behind her wife.

They approached Whizzer on the couch, who finally looked like he was paying attention. The lesbians usually had that effect on people. They demanded attention, whether intentional or not, the world wouldn't know.

"So this is Whizzer?"

My face grew red. I talked about him so much. At this point, they probably knew more about Whizzer than Whizzer himself. A small drop of water fell onto my foot. Damn- it's dethawed already. I spun on my heel to put it back in the freezer, straining my ears for their conversation.

"Bend your arm for me," Charlotte ordered. She had a very noticeable doctor voice, just as Cordelia had a 'therapist' voice.

I searched the freezer, realizing how empty it was. When was the last time I went shopping? I set the peas back on the shelf. Maybe I'd just have to fill a plastic bag with ice. I began to crouch down to get the bags when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Marvin. Let's talk," Charlotte crossed her arms. I heard Cordelia talking from the other room. That's what she was best at. Talking. Distracting.

"Alright doc, what's the diagnosis?" I smirked slightly. Char hated it when I pretended to know medical talk.

She sighed loudly, trying to hide her smile, "Nothing's broken, but he is hurt. Not just physically."

As expected. "What do I need to do?" That was something that Cordelia taught me to do. Ask what you can do for others rather than assuming.

"I wouldn't let him leave your house tonight. He's...not okay. He might do something drastic," Charlotte looked at her feet while she spoke. Drastic? What does that mean? She doesn't mean...

"And then I said 'Maybe we moved next door to a grumpy old man!'" Cordelia's voice carried to the kitchen during the silence. No! Nononononono-

I sprinted to the living room, interrupting, "Actually, Delia, why don't you save that for another day," I gasped out. The story of how we met wasn't one that painted me in the best light.

Jason was sleeping on the couch with his head in Cordelia's lap. Her hand was running through his hair as she spoke. Jason acted like an adult, I often forgot he's 12 years old. Still a kid. And kids need attention, and love, and sometimes I forget to give that to him.

Whizzer looked up at me, a small glimmer in his eyes. Making fun of me was his favorite thing. As soon as he made eye contact though, it vanished and he looked away. What was I doing wrong?

"Alright then," Delia frowned. "Are we ready to go, baby?"

"Mhm," Charlotte followed me from the kitchen. She leaned close to my ear and whispered, "remember what I said."

Cordelia gently woke Jason and walked to the door, waiting for her wife. Charlotte patted my shoulder before taking Delia's hand in hers and walking out.

I took a deep breath before turning to the couch, "listen, Whizzer-" they were asleep. Jason's head on Whizzer's shoulder. They both looked so peaceful, it'd be a crime to wake them up.

Maybe this was for the best.

A/N:

Please remember to vote for this chapter if you like it. I will write more if I feel like there are people that like it. :)