Partners With Addiction

Lunch ended all too soon and Flaky was back in a class. An English Writing/Reading class to be exact. The teacher was a sandy-haired young man named Handy.

His name was probably some kind of a sick joke now though as a childhood accident caused him to lose his hands. Now his stump of arms was wrapped in bandages at all times. At first the school was uncertain to hire him because of his disability, but eventually, he was hired and he was one of the student's favorite teachers and a couple of girls had crushes on him as he was only a year or two older than them, so he seemed relatable to the teenagers.

When everyone had sat down and were quieted down, Handy smiled at his students.

"Good afternoon students!

A couple of students, mainly the girls who liked him, said the greeting back in a cheery voice, "Good afternoon, Handy!"

"Today's lesson is going to be a special project. I'm giving you one month to write, draw, or make something related to this school. It has to show how you feel about the school, it's teachers, or it's classmates. I'm going to call out two names at random and whoever I say will end up being partners. Understood?"

The class nodded, shrugged, or just stayed quiet so Handy looked at his attendance sheet in his desk and called out student names.

"Petunia and. . .Toothy."

Giggles and. . .Shifty."

After calling out a couple more names and after what seemed like forever, Flaky's name was finally called out. Handy gave her a smile as he read out her name.

"Flaky and. . .Nutty!"

Everyone went silent as Flaky felt every eye in the room was on her now.

"Nutty? Well, maybe this won't be so bad.", Flaky thought as she heard that she was being partnered with the sugar addict. She turned around in her seat to look back Nutty, she gave him a smile and he smiled back, though it was a small one and not his usual big smiles. She turned back around when she heard the teacher began to speak.

"Okay, class! Now please go to a table or desk with your assigned partner and get to work! You've only got four weeks to get this done!"

Flaky got out of her seat and went over to Nutty's desk, his desk was covered in candy wrappers. He was absentmindedly chewing on a candy bar and looked at the redhead and smiled, this time it was a bit bigger and he seemed genuinely happy.

"Hi Flaky!"

"H-Hello Nutty", Flaky smiled back and sat down next to him, pulling out a notebook and a pencil, she turned in her chair to face him, "So what should we do our project on?"

"Um. . ." Nutty frowned, having finished his candy bar earlier and now he began to nibble on his bottom lip a bit as his brain thought of something, ". . .I don't know."

"Well, that was helpful. . ."

It took about the whole class period, but Flaky and Nutty had finally come up with a topic for their project and they both thought it was good.

it was a simple project where Flaky would ask questions to her fellow classmates and teachers how they felt about Nutty and Nutty would ask the same questions and then they would show the class how different people can be when they are talking about someone behind their backs. They called the project:

"Questioning Opinions: The Difference Between The Lie And The Truth"